Giants' co-owner, Duke donor Tisch dies at 79

Preston Robert Tisch, chair of Loews Corporation and chair and co-owner of the New York Giants football organization, passed away Tuesday at the age of 79. Family spokespeople reported that the cause of death was a brain tumor, which was initially diagnosed in 2004.

Just a few weeks ago, Tisch's family donated $10 million to the Brain Tumor Center of Duke University Medical Center and the Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center. The donation is the largest the DCCC has ever received.

At the formal announcement of the gift Oct. 19, Tisch's son Steve spoke on behalf of his father and the rest of his family.

"However the money is used, I hope the results all fall into improving treatment and research and ultimately making large strives... in the battle against brain cancer," Steve Tisch said at a press conference.

As a result of gift, the University will rename its brain tumor research and treatment facility the Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke.

Steve Tisch will also serve as a new member of the Center's board.

The funds from the Tisch gift will be divided between faculty recruitment and the translational program, which seeks to expedite the process of bringing promising cancer-fighting drugs to the market.

"Their optimism and dedication to trying new programs-but in the context of not taking outrageous risks-is impressive," Steve Tisch said in October of the DCCC.

Preston Robert Tisch was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., in 1926. He attended Bucknell University, the University of Michigan and Harvard Law School. He also served briefly in the Army.

He entered the hotel business with his brother, Laurence, beginning in 1946. They eventually bought in to the Loews Corporation, and took full control of the business in 1961.

Tisch also served as postmaster general from August 1986 to March 1988 under President Ronald Reagan.

He acquired the Giants in 1991 with co-owner Wellington Mara, who passed away just three weeks ago after suffering from cancer of the lymph nodes..

Tisch was diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer in 2004, just prior the the start of the Giants' training camp.

The team was informed Saturday that Tisch's condition had worsened. Several players and head coach Tom Coughlin visited him at his home in Manhattan.

Tisch is survived by his wife, Joan Hyman, and his three children, Steve, Laurie and Jonathan.

Share and discuss “Giants' co-owner, Duke donor Tisch dies at 79” on social media.