Pair of '06 commits set to visit campus

Even though the 2005-2006 season has not started for the Blue Devils-which have been ranked No. 1 in many preseason polls-the team is already thinking about next season and the void that will be left when Monique Currie, Mistie Williams and Jessica Foley graduate.

Over the next two weekends, the women's basketball team will host two of its verbal commitments for the class of 2006, as high school seniors Bridgette Mitchell and Joy Cheek make their official visits to campus.

Mitchell, a five-star recruit according to scout.com, is a 6-foot guard-forward from The Peddie School in Hightstown, N.J. Her high school coach, Sean Casey, said she is one of the most talented and competitive players he has coached.

"She has an incredible willingness to improve and made the adjustment during high school from being a center as a freshman to playing now as a guard and a forward," Casey said. "She does whatever she can do to make the team better whenever she gets put on the floor."

As a freshman, Mitchell made a three-pointer with 1:40 left in the fourth quarter of her high school state championship game to seal the title.

That determination will be essential for the Blue Devils when they try to replace Currie, who has been Duke's main offensive option down the stretch of important games since last season.

Like Mitchell, Cheek is a versatile presence on the floor. The four-star recruit is a 6-foot-1 wing player from South Mecklenburg High School in Charlotte. She began her high school career as a back-to-the-basket center, but Cheek has adjusted her game so she can play as a guard or forward, her AAU coach James Nichols said. She now has the ability to effectively shoot the spot-up three-pointer and the mid-range jumper, Nichols added.

In addition, she will be a valuable asset to Duke because her strong build makes her a viable post player that gets to the foul line often. Nichols compared her to Georgia sophomore Tasha Humphrey-once a Duke verbal commit herself-who was a unanimous first-team All-SEC selection last season after averaging 19.1 points and 8.2 rebounds per game.

Cheek's ability to shoot and her athleticism around the basket could help dampen the losses of both Foley and Williams after this season. Foley set a Duke single-season record last year when she made 68 three-pointers, and Williams was the first option down-low for the Blue Devils.

Nichols, who has coached against Mitchell, said the tandem of Mitchell and Cheek will provide great athleticism and versatility for Duke in the future. The Blue Devils will need both of them to replace the loss of Currie, Williams and Foley, who combined for an average of 40.1 points per game last season.

"Joy and Bridgette are great complements for each other because Joy is more of a power player, and Bridgette is more of a finesse player," Nichols said. "They are kind of like thunder and lightning."

Share and discuss “Pair of '06 commits set to visit campus” on social media.