Consent should not be an intrusion

Reflecting on Anthony Collins' column "Lessons Learned" (Sept. 7, 2005), I was saddened to see that one of the things that he has learned is that "guys need signed permission from a lady friend in order for their activities not to count as sexual harassment." I mean, mocking sexual consent is a pretty funny topic, right? I bet that the one in six girls who will be raped during her time in college found that pretty funny. Or was that laughter coming from the one in four women who will be raped in their lifetime? Or could it be from the countless other students whose lives have been indirectly affected by the rape of a relative, classmate, teammate, friend or girlfriend?

I think that the author's statements are indicative of a much larger problem at Duke. There is a culture among guys that scoffs at rape and sexual assault-a culture that ridicules asking a girl for consent. This can only change if guys take a role in changing it. You don't need signed permission for consent; you just need to communicate with a girl. It literally takes less than a second to ask a girl, "Are you okay with this?" or "Is this alright?" It's not nearly enough time to ruin the mood for all you players out there. Guys, protect yourselves and your female friends by working to change the culture at Duke that mocks the horrors of sexual assault.

Mike Di Marco

Trinity '07

Feminism is not oppression

Emin Hadziosmanovic's column "Faking Feminism" (Sept. 13, 2005) is replete with stereotypes and false assumptions. Many of his facts lack evidence and are simply his own glorified opinions. He begins by citing the statistic that 42 percent of men fake orgasms. How about the 80 percent of unwed teenage mothers who end up on welfare because their child's father is not in the picture? Don't tell me that faking contributed to that statistic.

His article asserted that women are using feminism to surpass men in equality and cited examples of domineering wives to prove his point. Yes, some women do "whip" their husbands. But those same women are also cooking their husband's meals, ironing their clothes and bearing their children. Literally speaking, many men still whip their wives-90 to 95 percent of domestic abuse victims are women.

And since when did it become an issue of inequality for a man to tell his wife his whereabouts? Isn't it simply an issue of mutual respect to let your partner know where you're going?

Simply put, many of Hadziosmanovic's statements regarding the (in)equality that exists in modern relationships are groundless. It is true that men and women differ in most aspects of life, and relationships are no different. But asserting that women regularly subjugate their husbands on the basis of feminism is a false notion, one based on Hollywood dramatization and stigmas surrounding feminism. Just because the women of today no longer come packaged as an I Love Lucy type does not mean they are "oppressors" who deserve a place in the "bitchhouse."

Katherine Jordan

Trinity '07

Leadership opportunities available

The 2005-2006 academic year brings numerous leadership opportunities for presidential and university committees. These aforementioned committees provide students with an occasion to demonstrate their leadership skills and engage in extensive discussions with administrators regarding their specific projects and passions on Duke's campus. A comprehensive list of the specific university committees follows.

Athletics Council

Two student representatives review and revise the policies of the Athletic Department, incorporating their own as well as ACC ideas. This committee meets once each semester on a Saturday morning in the Alumni House at 10:00 a.m.

Commencement Committee

Members advise in matters relating to commencement weekend events. This committee usually meets five or six times a year, mostly during the spring semester when potential speakers for the commencement exercises for the following May are discussed. Members of this committee are limited to the Class of 2007 for this term. Five representatives will be selected.

Committee on Facilities & Environment

Committee members review projects destined for consideration by the Building and Grounds Committee of the Board of Trustees. The representatives address the facilities and the environmental issues of University projects, including the aesthetics of external renovations and new buildings. Questions related to zoning, land use, streets and highways adjacent to the University and campus-related environmental concerns are also addressed. Two students will be chosen to represent this committee, which meets every other Monday in the Breedlove Conference Room in Perkins Library from 3:00-5:00 p.m.

Duke Forest Committee

One student will be chosen to review and advise on environmental and safety issues relevant to the future of the Duke Forest and its surroundings.

Duke Transportation Advisory Committee

This committee reviews the existing services and needs for new services in the campus parking, transit and bicycle programs, parking policies, permit fees, violation fines, transit service levels and amenities, as well as bicycle amenities. Committee members meet once or twice a semester. Five student representatives will be selected.

Harassment Grievances Board

This committee interprets the Duke harassment policy and sets guidelines for appropriate sanctions. It is also a pool from which individuals are randomly selected to serve on five-member panels to hear specific harassment cases. These panels adjudicate cases, decide whether a violation of the policy has occurred and recommend actions for resolving complaints. There will be three student representatives selected.

Information Technology Advisory Council

Two student representatives are chosen for this committee to advise the Office of Information and Technology for a one-year term. Participation involves bi-weekly 90-minute meetings Thursdays from 4:00-5:30 p.m.

If you are interested in applying for any one of these positions, please download an application from the DSG website at www.dsg.duke.edu/ and return all completed applications to the DSG office by September 16 at 5:00 p.m. Please sign up for an interview time when you drop off your application. Feel free to email George Fleming at gbf12@duke.edu with any questions or concerns. We look forward to your involvement!

Lauren Garson

Trinity '07

Representative

Duke Student Government

Editor's note: The limit of 350 words was waived for this letter.

Share and discuss “Consent should not be an intrusion” on social media.