SPORTS  |  COLUMNS

Things look bright in Duke's future

If I was the coach of the Duke football squad, I would have a hard time accepting the fact that the best freshman quarterback in the country decided to attend my school to play basketball.

Fortunately for the student body, the administration, the alumni and the fans, I am not the coach of the Duke football squad. That man is Ted Roof, and he is tempting us all to believe that our gridiron representatives might be getting back on the horse.

There is reason to believe. Roof proves in his actions that he appears to have common sense, something predecessor Carl Franks lacked. When Duke finished last in the Milky Way Galaxy in total offense last year, Roof brought in Maryland running backs coach Bill O’Brien to create a new offensive scheme. I have seen O’Brien’s new playbook, and the fact that it looks more complex than Einstein’s Theory of Relativity is a good sign, because the other team might not know what we’re doing on every single play.

This football team has solid returning players whose names we recognize. Junior quarterback Mike Schneider has already started 18 games, the kind of experience that gives a signal-caller the kind of confidence he needs to throw the rock effectively. Cedric Dargan has proven he can pound it out of the backfield and Ronnie Elliott can pull it down out wide. Tight end Ben Patrick is one of the ACC’s best at his position, and fellow tight end Andy Roland knows how to reel it in when it counts for six. Freshman Marcus Jones, considered by many to be the sickest, purest athlete on the team, is going to make a name for himself before 2005 concludes.

We were already respectable on the other side of the ball, where the names continue to instill confidence. John Talley picks it off with the best of them at corner. Phillip Alexander returns at defensive end, where he was the “Beast of the Southeast” in 2003. Brendan “The Doctor” Dewan will spearhead a linebacking crew that needs to step up after the graduation of 2004 team MVP Guiseppe Aguanno.

So here is the quick rundown of games one to 11 and how the season will play out. Just don’t blame me if sportsbook.com steals all your money:

ECU: easy win; Va. Tech: easy loss; VMI: easy win; UVa: tough loss; Navy: tough win; Miami: easy loss; Georgia Tech: tough loss; Florida State: tough loss; Wake Forest: upset win; Clemson: tough loss; UNC: upset win.

I am calling it a 5-6 season. You all probably think I’m crazy—and you’re right if you do—but I’ll be saying I told you so when Roof raises the Victory Bell.

Share and discuss “Things look bright in Duke's future” on social media.