What others are saying

“This will encourage our scouts to spend time in D-league [NBDL] gyms rather than high school gyms.”

—David Stern, NBA Commissioner

“I’m disappointed. This is just a stop-gap measure. It gives the NBA the ability to say that they did something about the problem, but it doesn’t realistically address the problem or the effect it has on college basketball.”

—Lute Olsen, Arizona Wildcats head coach

“I think a lot of kids might take the prep school route, even some who didn’t think they were going to the pros. That way you don't get exposed and it will make you [look] that much better.”

—Spencer Hawes, Seattle high school senior

“In the last two or three years, the rookie of the year has been a high school player. There were seven high school players in the All-Star Game, so why we even talking an age limit?… If I can go to the U.S. Army and fight the war at 18, why can’t you play basketball for 48 minutes and then go home?”

— Jermaine O’Neal, Indiana Pacers’ forward

“It sounds silly to say the college game isn’t good for guys, but there may be some truth to it. If you’re good enough to play 10 to 15 minutes a night and practice every day, you’ll get dramatically better being in the NBA compared to staying in school.”

—Mike Dunleavy, Golden State Warriors’ forward

“The good thing is that the kids may get there and realize maybe they aren’t ready,” Illinois coach Bruce Weber said. “I think a lot of kids think they’ll be in college one or two years and then leave, and then they realize they aren’t ready. So maybe it will be beneficial in the long run.”

—Bruce Weber, Illinois Fighting Illini head coach

Share and discuss “What others are saying” on social media.