Consistent social scene needed

The announcement that Cafe Parizade will no longer host large, open parties is indicative of the ever-shifting social scene at Duke and highlights the need for consistency in undergraduate social interaction.

For years, large on-campus fraternity parties dominated social life at Duke. Recently, however, much of the social scene has moved off campus, either to students’ houses or venues like Parizade. Parizade Thursday nights had become an institution for current Duke students who were exposed as much to the off-campus scene as they were to frat parties.

Parizade has been successful catering to Duke parties for a number of reasons. Since it is a public venue, alcohol is regulated more so than it is at frat parties. It is close to Duke’s campus—walking distance from East and a $5 cab ride from West—and in a safe location. The most attractive thing about Parizade, however, was the mixing of social strata that occurred there. It was a place where student from all years could go and be almost guaranteed to both run into someone they knew and meet someone they had never met before.

Now, since Parizade is no longer going host open parties, student will be forced to find another social outlet. Granted, the parties that used to be held at Parizade will probably move to other club-like locations like George’s Garage, but the fact remains that this is one less venue for social activity. The atmosphere of Parizade is not presently duplicated anywhere else at Duke, on or off campus.

Although we do not question the decision of Parizade’s owners to return to the restaurant’s roots, The Chronicle believes this closing to be another reminder of the shortcomings of the Duke social scene.

What Duke needs is a mainstay of the social scene where alcohol is offered and Duke students of all ages and interests can go to interact. Duke, or Durham, needs a college bar that can attract undergraduates and serve as a centralized place for social life.

This bar cannot be exclusive to students who are 21, since that will limit the interaction between upperclassmen and younger students. This bar must serve alcohol but must not demand that students drink. It must be convenient to the University and offer a cheap, safe environment for Duke students.

As the social scene continues to shift—from frat parties to restaurants-turned-clubs like Parizade to whatever will fill the void that Parizade leaves—it is important for the health of social life to have some element of consistency. The closing of Parizade to open parties again demonstrates that Duke still lacks this.

In the future, The Chronicle would like to see undergraduate social life revolve around a centralized college-friendly location, whether is is a bar on the new Central Campus or a dive bar in Durham.

Share and discuss “Consistent social scene needed” on social media.