Duke's ambassadors misbehaved

Speaking as a resident of one of the neighborhoods surrounding East Campus—one that has seen many examples of senior and underclass student activity near East Campus related to Duke students being the ambassador and the face of Duke University to the general public—I am truly astounded by the recent addition of the Duke student to public perception of “The Duke Image,” as indicated by the recent “Old School, Duke Babe Baby Oil Wrestling” party bash on Buchanan Street.

The image of Duke University as that of “The Old School Wrestling Duke Babe Baby Oil Party Palace,” as recently indicated by numerous national media reports, is indeed an interesting addition to the “Duke Image,” and I am sure those media reports were reviewed with great interest by the parents of female Duke students.

I know that if I had a daughter attending Duke and I thought my daughter was possibly attending Duke student extra-curricular socials such as baby oil wrestling matches, I would not be amused at the situation overall and especially at the University’s administration.

There are many adaptations to take advantage of such “slick” type media exposure of Duke student activity like this that could be considered.

I would think that the “Cameron Crazies” chants during Duke University basketball home games could incorporate such additions as “Hey, hey that’s OK, we party in baby oil all night and day,” and that incorporation would be a valuable addition to the “Duke Image.”

I am certain that the creative student minds at Duke could come up with many more inventive utilizations of baby oil and Duke student activity.

David Bowden

Share and discuss “Duke's ambassadors misbehaved” on social media.