Pro-choice is not pro-abortion

After reading “The A(bortion)-bomb,” I feel the need to enlighten Bill English about the difference between pro-abortion and pro-choice. I would not have expected this misconception that all pro-choice activists are running around inciting people to kill unborn babies from a political science graduate student. Democrats are not pro-abortion.  They simply believe it is a woman’s right to choose to have a child and not the government’s place to tell her otherwise.

The potential Supreme Court nominations are undoubtedly as important as English argues, but only because they could effectively erase the great strides our government has made to ensure civil rights over the past few decades. Even more of a concern is that our president is so preoccupied with having Roe v. Wade reversed and establishing democracy around the world that millions of Americans are still unemployed and without healthcare, feeding to those “desperate, shallow and pathetic” circumstances that cause so many abortions in our nation, according to English. I have always found it amazing that a political party devoted to preventing government interference in our lives is so adamant about denying women the right to choose.  With the potential for four more Scalias taking the Supreme Court bench in the next four years, I advise women, gays and racial minorities to run for cover… it could be a rough 30 years.

Amy Brown

Trinity ’08

Share and discuss “Pro-choice is not pro-abortion” on social media.