Pitchforks hit 25 years on high note

What began as an ad in The Chronicle a quarter-century ago has become one of Duke’s most entertaining, endearing and enduring traditions. At 9 p.m. Saturday night, more than 60 current and former members of the Pitchforks gathered on the stage at Baldwin Auditorium to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Duke’s oldest male a cappella group.

The reunion, in planning since the summer, included singing the national anthem at Duke’s football game Saturday and a barbecue on West Campus. The events culminated in Saturday night’s performance, at which Pitchforks, old and new, harmonized through a set as diverse as its members.

The Pitchforks crooned their way through Rhett Atkins’ country hit “That Ain’t My Truck” and even tackled Pearl Jam’s grunge standard “Evenflow,” showcasing its members’ playful personalities and senses of humor. The performance kept several generations of fans highly entertained in Baldwin Saturday night and ended in a standing ovation.

“I think especially the alums are excited for the show because they realize how much the group meant to them,” said senior Scott Lemmon, president of the Pitchforks. He noted that one-third of all the group’s members returned for the chance to perform once again in Baldwin.

For Rick Laub, Trinity ’83 and a Pitchforks alumnus, membership with the group continues to remain particularly special. He traveled from Michigan to attend the reunion and believes it’s “the camaraderie through harmony” that keeps the group going and why alumni are so eager to return.

Half of the founding group members returned for the reunion, taking the stage Saturday night with the same enthusiasm and humor that inspired the formation of the group in 1979. The alumni arrived Friday and spent the weekend rehearsing and reminiscing about life as a Pitchfork.

“I thought [the show] went really well,” said Will Lange, a junior and current Pitchforks member. “There wasn’t much more we could have asked for. It was a huge, huge group, but it makes it a lot easier.”

This camaraderie has led them to tour all over the nation and even to perform as far away as London. The group puts out its 13th album this fall and is preparing for its annual tour of the East Coast over fall break.

Although the Pitchforks is mainly an undergraduate ensemble, it began as a group of medical students who held their first meeting in the mental health ward of Duke University Hospital and called themselves “The Devil’s Den.” This year’s lineup of 16 members includes a law student and a professor.

Such diverse beginnings seem to have set the tone for the group’s quirky reputation. With a repertoire of more than 350 songs that range from traditional barbershop to contemporary pop, the group enhances each song with a combination of choreographed and improvised on-stage antics.

It’s not all fun and games, though. After the audition process at the start of each school year, the group meets for three hours twice a week. “It’s competitive,” Lemmon admitted. “It’s a combination of ability, of how well you know music and how good your voice is.”

But the members of the group feel it’s worth it. “Getting the chance to perform at Duke is the best part,” Lemmon said, emphasizing the strong friendships he has formed as a result of the group.

Benjamin Ward, associate professor of philosophy, has been with the Pitchforks since 1980 and said he believes the group’s presence adds to the dynamic of the campus. He pointed to the popular Annual Gothic Christmas Concert and the annual Spring Jamb and other low-key performances year-round. “We just pop in the library and sing a couple of songs,” Ward said. “People look forward that. I think we add a lot. We were the first a cappella group on campus, and now there are eight or nine.”

But it’s the dynamic within the group that makes the Pitchforks such a lively contribution to the University and such fun to watch.

“I miss guys when they graduate. I feel a link to everyone who’s ever been a Pitchfork,” Ward said. “My favorite part is when we get new people. I enjoy that process, watching them grow and assume more leadership. From the very first years up to people who graduated last year, it’s great to bring them all together and transcend generations of Pitchforks.”

Share and discuss “Pitchforks hit 25 years on high note” on social media.