Kerry succeeded in first debate

On Thursday night, Sen. John Kerry had the opportunity to speak to 55 million Americans and demonstrate his fitness to be commander-in-chief. He accomplished this task in remarkable fashion. On the most important issue facing the country this election year, the war in Iraq, John Kerry cleared up the misconceptions perpetuated by the George W. Bush campaign and the conservative media about his position. Kerry articulated a platform on Iraq that is not only consistent, but has been increasingly demonstrated to be correct as well.

As he has acknowledged since discussion of the invasion began over two years ago, Kerry reiterated that while he recognized Saddam Hussein posed a potential threat to the United States, there was a right way and a wrong way to deal with him. Bush chose the wrong way, and America is now paying a grave price for his miscalculations. Kerry also made clear that, though we made mistakes in how we entered the war in Iraq, it remains a fight that the United States must win and, with new leadership, can win.

Faced with a devastating critique of his handling of foreign policy and a compelling alternative for where to go from here, the president could do nothing but repeat his talking points. He constantly returned to discussing the danger of “mixed messages” even as his opponent was delivering a message that was crystal clear. Bush was visibly rattled: pausing and stammering during his own remarks, fidgeting, slouching, and looking away in annoyance as Kerry laid out the many mistakes the his opponent has made in trying to lead this country.

Demeanor wasn’t the president’s only problem, as he made numerous substantive errors as well on the feasibility of bilateral talks in North Korea, the reasons for Libyan disarmament, the training of Iraqi troops, the “bringing to justice” of A.Q. Khan, and others. In contrast, Kerry was firm, resolute and able to deliver clear and concise answers on every topic.

Only one man on the stage Thursday night demonstrated the stature, gravitas, and command of the issues befitting a commander-in-chief. That man was not our current president, but rather our next president, Senator John F. Kerry.

Anthony Resnick

Trinity ’05

Director of Public Relations, Duke for Kerry

Share and discuss “Kerry succeeded in first debate” on social media.