Jewish suffering equal to others

I am writing in response to Philip Kurian's article “The Jews” (Oct 18, 2004). Mr. Kurian states: “It is well known that Jews constitute the most privileged ‘minority’ group in this country.” In support of this he writes that Jews “enjoy shocking over-representation” in student rolls of top American universities. “Shocking?” Frankly, I find Kurian’s statistics to be unbelievable (and not referenced) but that is not the point. No matter the numbers, I believe that they reflect the deep appreciation and respect Jewish families have for higher education and that these families sacrifice tremendously for their children no matter their economic status.

What I find “shocking” is the author’s suggestion that “Jewish suffering?” is somehow disingenuous and not of the same “quality” as that of other minorities. That “Jews can renounce their difference by taking off the yarmulke” is an odd twist on “passing” and an insult to everyone who values their heritage.

It is true that throughout history, some of the most eloquent and leading voices for human rights and social justice have been Jewish; however, it is not true that only “well-funded and well-organized” Jewish voices have been heard at Duke regarding the Palestine Solidarity Movement conference.

The author prefers to err on the side of “complete academic freedom” But just as one cannot call upon “free speech” to justify yelling “Fire” in a theater, academic freedom cannot justify hate speech. The challenge for us is to differentiate between the two. This requires thoughtful and often agonizing discussion. I would hope that Kurian would reconsider his statements and realize that such comments add nothing constructive to this discussion.

Susan M. Ludeman, PhD

Associate Research Professor, Medicine

Adjunct Associate Professor, Chemistry

Share and discuss “Jewish suffering equal to others” on social media.