Black students discuss community at open forum

The Black Student Alliance held a town hall meeting Monday night to facilitate an open discussion about Duke’s black community and issues concerning black students.

Senior Brandy Canady, executive vice president of BSA, opened the meeting and mediated the discussion. “Some people say that there is no black community here, and others believe that the black students are very strong together,” she said.

Members of the unexpectedly large audience bounced responses and ideas off of each other, ending up with a cohesive idea of what black students’ situation looks like now and how they want it to change in the future.

Almost immediately students agreed that the presence of a strong black community cannot currently be felt on campus. Main grievances revolved around a general sense of apathy and a lack of student participation in events sponsored by black organizations.

“The presence is not felt at events unless someone’s been harassed or unless there’s a disclaimer that says ‘free food,’” senior Alfred Curtis said. He maintained that black students in previous years imparted a sense of being involved in the community, but involvement seems to have been lost recently in favor of focusing on academics and parties.

When students offered their views on what presently defines the black community, they said some people feel more black because they live on Central Campus or go to black fraternity parties than because they participate in black community activities.

In response, BSA members issued a challenge to the black students, asking them to come together in an effort to unite for reasons other than gathering solely for social activities.

“Being socially black is important for some, but being actively black is essential for upholding a black community,” senior Kim Noel said. “We as a whole should be working together to be moving toward something we believe in.”

Junior Alejandro Torres Hernandez acknowledged this but offered a perspective with which few could argue. “The black community is very diverse and has different opinions, but the bottom line is: If you’re black, you’re black,” he said.

This prompted students to raise issues regarding black involvement in non-exclusively black organizations on campus. Junior Wintta Woldemariam expressed concern that black students are underrepresented in many areas of campus life and need to take initiative to change that.

“The Chronicle is one of the most influential organizations on campus. Six black people work for The Chronicle. How many black people are in [Duke Student Government]? Four. We cannot be satisfied with mediocrity,” she said.

Several students referred to allegations of recent harassment of black undergraduates by the Duke University Police Department and expressed disgust at the policemen’s justifications of their actions. “We are educated, we are the rising academic elite of America, and we’re being treated like gangsters,” Noel said.

Anthony Kelley, assistant professor of music, urged students to voice their opinions and act upon their concerns.

“Everybody in this room knows something that black folks ought to do. If you have something burning in you, chances are you have it in common with someone else,” he said. Kelley said he hoped to engage students in community involvement by throwing out several thought-provoking questions regarding relevant issues and potential actions that need to be undertaken.

The meeting concluded with a general consensus that Duke needs a more vigorous approach to solidifying black community. Senior Tayo Famakinwa extended a call to action, speaking solemnly but evocatively to everyone present.

“Each and every person in this room, and each and every person not in this room needs to start owning issues that relate to each and every person on this campus,” he said. “You need to come out even if you don’t want to be there, because there will be a time when you will need to be there.”

Share and discuss “Black students discuss community at open forum” on social media.