Packed schedule may not draw students

Despite a full slate of events, students are not sure they will attend inauguration.

In preparation for President Richard Brodhead’s inauguration, the University has planned a flurry of pre-inaugural events for the week leading up to the formal ceremony this Saturday at the Duke Chapel. Despite the number of activities on campus, ranging from panel discussions about global issues to a dance at Cameron Indoor Stadium, many students remain unaware of the extent of the week’s festivities.

Although these week-long events have been open to the public, students have not all been equally enthusiastic in taking advantage of the various programs. Decorated flags on campus light poles have been prevalent, all announcing Saturday’s festivities—but some students believe there has been little communication beyond these signs to inform students about the events. “The first time I realized that there were discussion panels was when I opened an issue of the Dialogue,” freshman Cyrus Amoozegar said. “There was a big page listing all of the events. I wasn’t even aware that there was a dance at Cameron until I saw that page.”

Students like freshman Andrew Yeh are looking forward to the opportunity to meet their new president. “We’ve all seen President Brodhead at convocation, but we haven’t had the opportunity to really talk with him. These discussions should allow us to get to know him on a personal level,” Yeh said, although noting that he would not necessarily plan his schedule around the events.

Still learning to make the transition to university life, many freshmen have found it difficult to grasp the implications of changing the school’s leadership from the former president, Nan Keohane, to Brodhead. “As a freshman, I haven’t really experienced the school with any other president. So, it would be hard for me to gauge the significance of a new one,” freshman Mahmood El-Gasim said.

Upperclassmen, however, have shown more interest and involvement in the inauguration proceedings. Because they all have at least one year of college experience with Keohane as president, many have concerns regarding both the dynamics of student life, as well as what Brodhead can contribute to the University.

“As a member of the Asian Students Association executive board, I am curious to see how President Brodhead promotes diversity on campus,” said junior Caroline Shou, noting that to her knowledge diversity had not been one of the new president’s priorities when he was dean of Yale College. “President Keohane always actively encouraged student interaction among different ethnic groups. I hope President Brodhead is able to do this as well through campus-wide programs and activities.”

To further promote student attendance at the inauguration events, the Interfraternity Council has encouraged its 15 member fraternities to attend the community dance and to not schedule any programs that would conflict with the activity. The IFC hopes to direct all of the campus’ attention to the weekend’s historic event.

“The IFC is totally supportive of the inauguration and dedicated to helping it run smoothly,” said IFC President Will Connolly, a senior. “In turn, we have asked the fraternities to support it as well.”

University faculty and officials from other institutions around the world have said they will attend, guaranteeing a full crowd for Saturday’s ceremony. It remains to be seen, however, whether there will be as many students in attendance.

Share and discuss “Packed schedule may not draw students” on social media.