Staff Editorial: Parking notification lacking

Parking at Duke is a complex issue that cannot be completely reconciled overnight. The manner in which parking was managed during this weekend's Campaign for Duke celebrations, however, provided a clear starting point for the Department of Parking and Transportation Services. When you anticipate lot closures or parking jams, inform the student body ahead of time.

Despite the stigma that has grown up around the issue of parking at Duke, students and other patrons are reasonable enough to adapt to the University's needs if they are given adequate time to do so.

For example, on Saturday, students with Blue Zone passes were allowed to leave the parking area, but were turned back when they attempted to enter. The lots were obviously being used to accommodate the participants in the Campaign events. Students do not object to the Blue Zone being used for alternative purposes. Most students recognize the extent to which they personally benefit from the efforts of the donors and fundraisers present at this weekend's activities. What is objectionable, however, is the lack of communication between parking officials and the student body prior to the lot closures.

Foremost, students should have been notified by e-mail during the week, as they are before home football games, that the Blue Zone was to be utilized for Campaign parking. They should have been given time to move their vehicles if necessary, or make alternate arrangements. It is unlikely that the decision to use the Blue Zone was a last minute choice, and there is no reason for the communication breakdown.

Even more puzzling is the fact that students were not notified, upon leaving the Blue Zone Saturday, that they would not be allowed to re-enter. Posting a sign near the exit gate or posting a parking official to give drivers a heads up should have been standard operating procedure.

Having offered these criticisms, it is important to note that from the perspective of those individuals who attended or worked on the Campaign events, parking went smoothly. These visitors are essential to Duke's continued success, and the fact that most came away happy is a positive for parking officials.

Cathy Reeve, director of Parking and Transportation Services, has pledged to improve communication efforts in the past. This weekend's events seem to indicate that not enough has been done. Duke had every right to use the Blue Zone for visitor parking this weekend. All they needed to do was let us know about it.

Share and discuss “Staff Editorial: Parking notification lacking” on social media.