Staff Editorial: Expand FOCUS

Since its inception 11 years ago, the FOCUS program has become highly praised by faculty and staff and increasingly popular among students. University administrators are now considering adding a spring FOCUS program for first-year students--a move that would almost certainly be beneficial to students and should be experimented with.

FOCUS has proven itself to be immensely popular--in 2003, 80 students were not admitted into the program because of the number of applicants--and successful in helping first-year students adapt to the rigors of college academics. Studies conducted this summer found that first-year FOCUS students have a slightly higher GPA and study abroad at higher rates than non-FOCUS students, and FOCUS students are fortunate enough to experience some of the best professors at the University.

Although another added bonus of the first semester FOCUS programs is the forming of friendships through small classes with individuals in the same dorm, the spring FOCUS program does not need to be residential in the same way the fall programs are since by January students have already become socially adjusted to college. Instead, the spring program can be an opportunity for students to intensely study an area of interest.

Expansion of FOCUS and other FOCUS-like programs will only serve to offer more academic opportunities for interested students and can continue to be a drawing point for prospective students.

The University should take its cue from the overwhelming success of FOCUS in the past decade and use it as a model for adding more small-group, interdisciplinary learning programs.

Adding a second semester FOCUS program for first-year students is the first step in this process, but the administration should also consider similarly structured programs for upperclassmen as well.

The small-group interaction and interdisciplinary nature of a FOCUS-like program would work well for some seniors as a type of capstone in their final year. Or, a program during the first semester of students' junior year could provide an attractive alternative to studying abroad. The element of having group dinners with professors and guest lectures is something that should be encouraged of all students regardless of the status of FOCUS. These programs can provide students with the highest possible level of small-group focused learning and student-faculty interaction.

Although there are concerns about finical and faculty limitations and the programs would only be viable if there were enough student interest, the idea of FOCUS has proven to be a good one and should be expanded to involve more students at more levels.

Share and discuss “Staff Editorial: Expand FOCUS” on social media.