Letters to the Editor: DCU endorses DSG candidates

The Executive Board of the Duke Conservative Union is pleased to announce our endorsement of the following candidates for Duke Student Government.

With enthusiasm equal to his own, the DCU endorses Anthony Vitarelli for DSG president. He is dedicated to improving Duke University for undergraduates and has a clear vision for accomplishing this task.

We endorse Andrew Wisnewski for executive vice president because of his lucid understanding of the position and his businesslike approach to handling campus issues.

For vice president of academic affairs, we endorse Chase Johnson. His platform is impressive and he knows how to get things done at Duke.

Brandon Goodwin receives our endorsement in the vice president of student affairs race because of his ability to address student concerns without trying to program student life.

We endorse Jesse Longoria for vice president of campus services and athletics, not because he is running unopposed, but rather because he is truly committed to enhancing facilities across campus.

Finally, we endorse Kirstin Hopkins for vice president of community interaction. Hopkins' undergraduate-centered platform and DSG experience was the deciding factor in a race that lacks a remarkable candidate.

All DCU-endorsed candidates agreed to our pledge promising to refrain from using DSG office to address international, national and local politics.

The DCU applauds the candidates for making our decisions such difficult ones. In my four years at Duke, this is the strongest field I have encountered. Although they did not receive our endorsement, I hope to see candidates such as Pasha Majdi and Russ Ferguson playing an active role in campus leadership next year.

I encourage DCU members, as well as the student body as a whole, to cast their votes for the candidates endorsed above on Tuesday.

Jeffrey Raileanu, Trinity '04

President, Duke Conservative Union

Share and discuss “Letters to the Editor: DCU endorses DSG candidates” on social media.