DSG Endorsement: GET OUT THE VOTE!

For most of the year, the onus for getting things done on campus lies with the officers elected to Duke Student Government positions.

However, today, the responsibility rests squarely on the shoulders of every member of the student body. Get out and cast your vote for the candidates and resolutions you support.

The revitalization of DSG must begin with a widescale increase in student participation. Countless students have demanded change, increased efficiency and tangible results from DSG. Today is your chance to vote for those individuals who, in your opinion, have the skills to make these demands a reality.

Without a doubt, the responsibility for the deterioration of DSG's reputation and effectiveness in recent years must lie in part with its elected officers. However, the widespread belief that the buck stops there is a fallacy. A lack of interest and participation on behalf of the rest of the student body is as much at fault for the present situation as anything else.

The fact is that only around a third of the student body has voted in DSG executive elections in past years. More than one third of students can be heard expressing their views on what DSG does and does not do well during the remainder of the school year. This attitude makes little sense. If you don't care enough to vote, why do you care enough to complain? Some students might counter that it does not matter who is elected--DSG is an inherently inefficient organization. This perspective is naive and sad. At an institution like Duke, with its high caliber of students, there are surely those who can set a meaningful and realistic agenda for the organization and see it through.

Furthermore, elected officers would feel empowered to get more accomplished if they won an election that truly represented the will of the student body as a whole, not only the small segments who mobilize to vote. Engage yourself in the process, let the candidates know what you want, and make them accountable to you as a vocal member of their constituency.

Also, don't fall into the trap of thinking, "I don't have time to vote," or that "my vote won't count." The polls are open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., and voting may be conducted online at the DSG website. And, given recent voter turnout numbers, every vote really does mean something.

This year's field of candidates is strong and poised to rebuild DSG. With this in mind, The Chronicle formally reiterates its endorsements of: Anthony Vitarelli for president, Andrew Wisnewski for executive vice president, Brandon Goodwin for vice president of student affairs, Christopher Chin for vice president of academic affairs, Joel Kliksberg for vice president of community interaction and Jesse Longoria for vice president of campus services and athletics.

Good luck to all the candidates, and please get out the vote!

Share and discuss “DSG Endorsement: GET OUT THE VOTE!” on social media.