Strong pitching and timely hitting lead Duke to sweep off Radford

Sweeping its series against Radford, the baseball team is off to its best start in over five years. Taking the tripleheader this weekend, the team's record is 7-2, its only losses having come in extra innings.

In Friday's game, Duke's ability to score consistently throughout the game held off Radford's four-run eighth inning threat as the Blue Devils won 7-5. Zach Schreiber started the game and pitched six innings, giving up only one run. The Blue Devils were led offensively by Mike Miello, who went 3-for-4 and collected two RBIs.

Radford's eighth-inning rally was ignited as the lead-off batter hit a home run off Russell Durfee. Radford went on to score three more runs that inning, but Duke pitcher Tony Bajoczky was able to retire the side, striking out one batter and forcing two others to ground out.

Saturday's game was a blowout as Duke beat the Highlanders 12-1. At the plate, the Blue Devils were led by freshman Eric Baumann, who hit three doubles in his four at bats and drove in two runs. Also finding success at the plate was Tim Layden, who went 1-for-2 and drew three walks.

Duke got off to a strong start, scoring four runs with two outs in the first inning. Layden hit a line drive to right, which was dropped by Radford's rightfielder. Baumann then hit a hard grounder up the middle through the pitcher's feet, scoring Layden. Baumann, Miello, Brian Hernandez and Adam Loftin all scored in that inning, as well.

The Highlanders' only run came in the ninth inning, when Radford's shortstop reached first on a throwing error and subsequently scored an unearned run. But Radford's closest chance at winning was in Sunday afternoon's game. With a 4-1 Duke lead, pitcher Tim Layden walked the first batter. Two outs and two walks later, the bases were loaded for Radford's shortstop, who singled and drove in two runs and closed the gap to one. Justin DiLucchio came in to relieve Layden and faced second baseman Ashworth, who singled to center field and collected two more RBIs. With four runs on two hits, the Highlanders pulled into the lead.

After the seventh inning stretch, Duke's Layden, who went 3-for-4, singled to right field. Baumann drew a walk to advance Layden, and Corey Whiting, who pinch hit for Miello, was hit by a pitch to load the bases with two outs. Hernandez came up to the plate and drove a pitch down the right field line. Layden and Baumann scored the tying and winning runs. Duke's Blake Walker picked up the save and DiLucchio tallied his first win of the season.

Sunday's game was indicative of the team's resilience at the plate.

"I'm really pleased with the way we've been playing," head coach Bill Hillier said. "Today, we were down a little bit, but we battled back. We have been competing hard and I'm really pleased, especially because they're having fun out there."

Duke's success this weekend was a result of consistency at the plate. Scoring in all but 10 of the 24 innings it played this weekend, the team has been able to convert hits into runs effectively this season. However, the Blue Devils are not a power-hitting team, recording only five homeruns and two triples through nine games this season. Recording two of the homeruns this season is Layden, who is batting .375 and leads the team with 14 RBIs. Hernandez, a contact hitter batting ninth, leads the team with a .406 batting average and has struck out only twice in his 32 at bats.

On the mound, the Blue Devils have experienced and strong pitchers. The team has four hurlers with an ERA under one, combining for 20.2 innings pitched. The pitching staff has 76 strikeouts and only 28 walks. Senior Schreiber has two wins under his belt and his 15 strikeouts tie him with Greg Burke for the team lead. Showing promise, freshman middle-reliever Danny Otero, who has pitched 11.2 innings, boasts a slim 0.77 ERA.

"We're a lot more experienced because our top three [starting pitchers] are older guys," Schreiber said. "This year, in close games, we're able to battle a little bit more. In years past, we've sometimes had the tendency to put our tail between our legs and give up; but this year, we've been able to stay in there better."

Share and discuss “Strong pitching and timely hitting lead Duke to sweep off Radford” on social media.