Staff Reports: Crime Briefs

Civic is fifth in spate of Central car break-ins

A student reported a break-in to his 2000 Honda Civic parked at 209 Anderson St., increasing the tally of Central Campus vehicles broken into last week. The student reported that he parked his vehicle at 11 p.m. Feb. 5., and when he returned the next morning at 9 a.m., he found the passenger's side window broken, $5 in cash missing and about 15 compact discs stolen. The damage to the window is valued at $150 and the stolen CDs are valued at $100.

Metal detector stolen

Officers working a Feb. 7 party at the Great Hall reported that a $250 Garrett hand-held metal detector was stolen. Officers left the metal detector on a table in the lobby of the Great Hall for approximately 10 minutes at around 2 a.m. Feb. 7 while they closed the party and cleared the building. When officers looked for the metal detector, it was gone.

Busted door requires pre-dawn standing

Officers responded to a report of an unsecured door at Pegram Dormitory Feb. 7 at 4:15 a.m. When they arrived, they found the crash bar on the front door damaged and the door unlockable--a total of $150 in damage. Officers stood by the door until maintenance workers responded and repaired it.

Cash stolen

A visitor reported the theft of $71 in cash from his wallet while he was a patient in the Emergency Department. The visitor said that he was admitted to the ED at noon on Feb. 6 after a vehicle crash. He gave his wallet to a nurse in the ED, and when the wallet was returned about 15 minutes later the money was missing.

'Dillo workers' spat turns physical

An employee at the Armadillo Grill reported an alleged assault by another employee. The employee reported that at 10:30 a.m. Feb. 5, another employee verbally and physically assaulted her, causing minor injuries to her hand and face. As a result of the alleged assault, the employee took out a warrant for assault on Denise Matthews, DOB March 14, 1978, 700 Morreene Rd. The warrant has not yet been served, and Matthews could not be reached for comment.

Attempting to greet players, tenters lose laptops

A student reported the theft of his Dell laptop computer from a tent in the Krzyzewskiville tenting area. The student said that at 12:50 a.m. Feb. 6, he left his tent to go greet the basketball team upon their return from Chapel Hill. When he returned to his tent at 1:10 a.m., the computer was gone. The stolen computer is valued at $4,000.

Another student reported the theft of his Toshiba laptop computer, a black leather case, an Archos MP3 player and computer accessories from a Krzyzewskiville tent. The student said he left his computer in a tent at 12:30 a.m. Feb. 6 to go greet the basketball team. When he returned to his tent at 1 a.m., the computer and accessories were gone. The total value of the stolen items is $3,150.

Oxygen and acetylene torch rig stolen

An employee reported the theft of a $250 oxygen and acetylene torch rig from a Duke-owned vehicle. The employee said the torch was stolen sometime between 6:30 a.m. and noon Feb. 2. The employee was at several different locations during that period and cannot be sure where the theft occurred.

Electronics nabbed from locker at Hospital

A visitor reported the theft of a JVC camcorder, a Vivitar digital camera, a Siemens cell phone and $200 in cash from a locker room in the Hospital. The visitor reported that he placed his belongings in an unsecured locker at 4:20 p.m. Feb. 5. When he returned to the locker at 4:35 p.m., the items were gone. The total value of the stolen items is $2,300.

Share and discuss “Staff Reports: Crime Briefs” on social media.