Staff Reports: Crime Briefs

Pricey tickets on Ebay get police attention

Employees at the Duke Athletic Department notified police Feb. 19 that a Duke student was attempting to sell Duke men's basketball tickets on Ebay for a price significantly higher than face value. Police investigators spoke to the student, who said he was not aware that North Carolina law prohibited the sale of tickets for more than $3 over face value. The incident was referred to Student Affairs.

Family spat causes disturbance in hospital

Officers responded to Duke Hospital Feb. 20 in reference to a fight occurring on a patient unit. When officers arrived they found two of a patient's family members involved in a fight in the hallway outside the patient's room. Officers broke up the fight and escorted the two out of the building. Both parties declined to press charges against each other.

Umpire's chairs stolen, signs point to K-ville

An employee reported Feb. 21 the theft of three $400 umpire's chairs from the West Campus tennis courts. The employee found the chairs missing at 9:15 a.m. Feb. 21. Officers checked the area and found two of the chairs in nearby Krzyzewskiville. The third chair was not found. Students in the area denied any knowledge of the chairs.

Mongoose preyed upon on East

A student reported Feb. 19 that her $300 blue and white Mongoose bicycle was stolen from the bike rack near the East Union. The student said she locked her bike to the rack using a chain and lock at 6 p.m. Feb. 18. When she checked on her bike at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 19, the chain had been cut and the bike was missing.

Unwatchful student falls victim to gym theft

A student reported Feb. 18 that her $700 Tiffany silver wristwatch was stolen from the Wilson Rec Center. The student said she had placed the watch in the cup holder when using an exercise bike at 5:45 p.m. Feb. 8. After she finished she went to her car and remembered leaving her watch. When she returned to the gym at 6 p.m. Feb. 8, the watch was gone.

Window, but nothing else, stolen from car

An employee reported a break-in to her 1994 Mazda Protege at the Alumni parking lot on Duke University Road. The employee said she parked her car at 8:30 a.m. Feb. 19. Nothing was stolen from the vehicle, but a quarter window was cut off and stolen. The window is valued at $150.

Stalled car damaged, nothing taken

An employee reported Feb. 18 a break-in to her 1994 Ford Escort in the H parking lot on Hillsborough Road. The employee said she left the car in the lot at 8:15 a.m. Feb. 17 after it would not start. When she returned to her car at 4:40 p.m. the same day, she found the rear window broken out and the glove compartment open. There was nothing stolen from the vehicle. The damage to the window is valued at $100.

Wallet snatched from desk in hospital

An employee reported Feb. 19 that a brown leather wallet was stolen from a nursing station at Duke Hospital. The employee said she left her wallet on the desk at 6:55 p.m. Feb. 18 when she got to work. When she looked for the wallet at 1 a.m. Feb. 19, it was missing. The wallet and contents are valued at $48.

Patient strikes employee, isn't charged

An employee at Duke Clinics reported at 5:40 p.m. Feb. 19 that she was struck by a patient in the arm and upper chest. The employee said the patient was disturbed and trying to leave the unit. The employee did not suffer any injury and declined to press charges.

Cash missing from patient's room

A visitor reported Feb. 18 that $15 in cash was stolen from a patient's room at Duke Hospital. The visitor said the money had been in a card in the room for at least two days, but was found to be missing at 4:30 p.m. Feb. 18.

Student's car damaged in East lot

A student reported Feb. 21 that his 1998 Volkswagen Jetta was damaged while parked in the lot behind Alspaugh Dormitory. The student reported that he parked his vehicle at 6 p.m. Feb. 19. When he returned to his car at 3:40 p.m. Feb. 21, he found that someone had kicked the door panel and front quarter panels, also damaging the left rear turn signal and bumper. The damage is valued at $750.

Laptop may have been stolen from Gardens

A student reported that she may have left her $2,700 IBM laptop in the Duke Gardens around 1:20 p.m. Feb. 20. When she returned to the Gardens an hour later, the laptop was gone.

Share and discuss “Staff Reports: Crime Briefs” on social media.