Staff Editorial: Reading period is sacred

Snow days at Duke are paradoxical--they are welcome in the short-run, but may end up hurting students in the long-run. While many individuals celebrate the chance to stay up late, sleep in and put off work for an evening, most will undoubtedly be upset to learn that the classes missed may be made up during Spring reading period.

The University has been wise in its management of campus during recent winter storms. Though Duke's decisions about the cancellation of classes and other campus services is largely dependent on Durham road conditions, administrators have been sure to suspend non-essential operations when the safety of faculty and staff is in question. If the roads are safe, classes should be held, despite student wishes to the contrary.

However, the issue of making up canceled classes is more of a contentious issue. Many faculty members and administrators advocate holding classes on the days scheduled for reading period, April 22-25, and April 28. Of these days, only three, April 22 and 23 and 28, a Thursday and a Friday and a Wednesday, respectively, can properly be called reading days, as the remaining two are a weekend. The issue is whether those three days would better serve students and rest and study days, or as make up dates for missed classes.

From the student point of view, the answer is obvious. Many students find the reading period an invaluable commodity, using the time to review notes, catch up on reading, quiz one another, and take a final swipe at familiarizing themselves with course material before their final exams. Duke finals are no laughing matter, and often cover a wide range of material. Granting students two extra days to study, or to take a break from studying, is not an outlandish request.

With this in mind, it is important to consider that faculty have trouble getting through the topics on their syllabi during a full semester's worth of class periods, and even one snow day can place teachers at a serious disadvantage. Particularly in courses that meet only once a week, or have laboratory components, the time missed must be added back into the schedule. Reading period is an appealing choice, as the days are open, and students won't have conflicts anyway.

Both sides can make a compelling case. As such, a compromise is in order. The University should begin the Spring reading period on the Wednesday before finals, essentially planning for three reading days, a weekend, and a single break day on the following Wednesday in the middle of exams. Should classes be canceled for any reason, the first Wednesday and Thursday reading days can be used as make-up dates. Under no circumstances, however, should the Friday before exams nor the Wednesday in the middle of exams be designated for make-ups. It is rare that a Spring semester at Duke results in more than two snow days, and such a system would still guarantee students at least one extra day of rest or study time.

Further, professors should be given the option to reschedule classes on their own, either on weekends or by holding double sessions at another point during the semester. Reading period is important for students, and should only be revoked as a last resort.

Share and discuss “Staff Editorial: Reading period is sacred” on social media.