Letter to the Editor: Crazies 'too cool' for Sullivan

After reading Matt Sullivan's "Out of Control" column yesterday I've already dropped out of blue tenting, burnt all my cameron crazies t-shirts and ripped up all my posters.

Matt, you are so cool. In an effort to be more like you, from now on I'm going to be too cool to tent, too cool to paint for the games and too cool to even sit in the student section. However I will waste 1000 words of my tri-weekly column telling poor unenlightened souls how extremely pathetic they are.

The mirror works both ways Matt. The worst kind of person is someone who tries to change the institution without having a working knowledge of it. Did you sleep on the sidewalk before the Wake Forest game? Did you even go to the Wake game?

If you did, I find it hard to believe that you could question the impact a passionate student section can have on the outcome of the game.

I'm sorry that we all don't have a Chronicle press pass or an Iron Duke bumper sticker that allows us to sit on the opposite side of the gold bar, but that doesn't mean we aren't fans. I've been watching Duke for over a decade. I know that Chris Collins and Johnny Dawkins are more than just Coach K's assistants. I know that when J.J. was in middle school, Tradjon Langdon was hitting shots from the Bryan Center. I know that Duhon learned to slap the floor from Wojo.

You know what Matt, If you had read Coach K's quote from the Clemson game in its entirety you would have realized the problem wasn't the volume or the creativity of the fans at the game, the problem was that too many people like you would rather attend their frat's semiformal or watch "Sex and the City," then be troubled with the prospect of waiting in line for a game.

Granted the crazies may be slumping as of late, but we're not through. So Matt since I can't possibly be as cool as you I think I'll keep going to the games because I love the sport, I love the team, and I still naively think that the crazies can make a difference.

Marc Casale
Trinity '07

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor: Crazies 'too cool' for Sullivan” on social media.