Staff Reports: Crime Brief

Suspected serial car jacker nailed

Duke and Durham police investigators arrested Clarence Tillman--DOB Nov. 20, 1977, of 4800 University Dr. Apt. T-17--Jan. 24 for his involvement in a number of vehicle break-ins on University property and in the city of Durham.

Duke police charged Tillman with three counts of breaking and entering a motor vehicle, three counts of felony larceny and one count of felony obtaining property by false pretense. Additional charges by Duke and Durham investigators are pending.

Tillman was held at the Durham County Jail under $75,000 secured bond. His first court appearance is scheduled for Jan. 27. He could not be reached for comment.

Anti-Saddam graffiti found

A student reported graffiti on the wall of Parking Garage IV. Officers found what appeared to be a drawing of Saddam Hussein with the words "Dead Man" painted on the wall. Damage to the wall is estimated at $100.

Dirt, scratches found on BMW

A student reported that his 1999 BMW M3 was damaged while parked in the Blue Zone parking lot. The student said he parked his car in the lot at 2 p.m. Jan. 17. When he returned to the lot at noon Jan. 19, he noticed that dirt had been thrown on his vehicle. After he washed the car he found scratches on the trunk. The damage to his vehicle is valued at $500.

Patient absconds with heart monitor

An employee reported that a $500 heart monitor issued to a patient in Duke Hospital was missing. The monitor was last seen at 6:30 a.m. Jan. 18, and neither the patient nor the monitor could be found 20 minutes later.

Cracks found in windshield

A student reported damage to his 2000 Ford Excursion in the Bassett Dormitory parking lot. The student reported that at noon Jan. 20, he found several small circular cracks in the windshield and left rear window, as if someone had thrown rocks or shot BBs at his vehicle. It is unknown when the $300 in damage occurred.

Unauthorized buys made at nursing school

An employee in the School of Nursing reported that a Duke procurement card issued to another employee had been used to make several unauthorized purchases. The purchases were made between May 12, 2003, and Jan. 2, 2004. The total amount of the unauthorized purchases is undetermined at this time.

Spare tire hits the road

A student reported the theft of her $150 spare tire from the rear of her 2003 Honda CRV, which was parked in the alumni overflow lot on Duke University Road. The student reported that she parked her vehicle in the lot at 8:30 a.m. Jan. 22. When she returned to the lot at 6:55 p.m. Jan. 22, the tire was missing from her vehicle.

Delivery man has $23 stolen

A visitor reported a break-in to his 1999 Chevrolet pickup truck parked in the Central Campus area. The visitor reported that he arrived to deliver food at Pace Street at 11:45 p.m. Jan. 13. When he returned to his vehicle at 11:59 p.m. he found his driver's window broken and $23 in cash stolen from the truck. The damage to the window is valued at $150.

Thief strikes unsuspecting patron

A student reported that his Jansport backpack, containing a Nokia cell phone, two textbooks and three binders, was stolen from the Great Hall dining room. The student said he placed his backpack on the floor next to his table at 12:25 p.m. Jan. 22. He said his backpack was gone when he checked on it five minutes later. The backpack and contents are valued at $250.

Parking lights stolen from Accord

An employee reported Jan. 22 the theft of a $120 set of parking lights from her 1990 Honda Accord, which was parked in the H lot on Central Campus. The employee said her lights were in place when she picked up the car from a garage at 2 p.m. Jan. 14, and were missing when she returned 5 p.m. Jan. 15.

Spare tire bounces out

An employee reported the theft of her $70 spare tire from her 1999 Honda CRV parked in the H overflow lot near the Greystone Church on Hillsborough Road. The employee said she parked her vehicle in the lot at 7:40 a.m. Jan. 22 and found the tire missing when she returned at 4:30 p.m. the same day.

Share and discuss “Staff Reports: Crime Brief” on social media.