Staff Report: Newsbriefs

Former Duke Police chief dead at 81

John Goodfellow, a veteran of three wars and chief of the Duke University Police Department until his retirement in 1995, died Jan. 17 in Durham.

Goodfellow joined the DUPD after 30 years of service in the United States Marine Corps, where he achieved the rank of sergeant major. He served in World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War.

A native of Port Jervis, N.Y., Goodfellow is survived by his wife, Betty Lou; his sisters Joan Donahue, Betty Lynch and Marie Perkowski; his two sons, William and John; his three daughters, Kathleen Goodfellow, Sharon Riddle and Jaclyn Grover; his step-sons, Don and Brad Schlitz; his step-daughter Kathryn Schlitz Hinkle; 15 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

Dining head wagers on Super Bowl

Director of Dining Services Jim Wulforst has accepted a friendly wager from his counterpart at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst on the upcoming National Football League Super Bowl between the Carolina Panthers and the New England Patriots. Wulforst accepted the challenge from UMass Dining Services Director Ken Toong Friday morning.

If Carolina wins, Toong will send Wulforst a six-person feast of lobsters, clam chowder and other Massachusetts delicacies. Whilst preparing them, UMass executive chef Willie Sng will sport a Carolina Panthers T-shirt and cap.

If New England wins, Wulforst will owe Toong a true Carolina barbecue--with all the fixins'--cooked by executive chef Olivier Altman in a Patriots T-shirt and cap. The meal would also serve six people.

Toong is no stranger to the Super Bowl wager. Two years ago, he won a bet with his Washington University in St. Louis counterpart for the 2002 Super Bowl between the Patriots and the St. Louis Rams. This is the Panthers' first appearance in the Super Bowl.

Law school tax program returns

The law school's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program has been revitalized by second-year law student Janna Lewis, allowing over 30 law students, staff members and faculty members to help low-income Durham residents with their taxes this year.

VITA, a long-standing community service project that had languished in recent years, will offer free tax assistance to hundreds of workers across the city.

"Our VITA program will truly be a community-wide effort," said Director of Academic Advising Chris McLaughlin, Law '96. "Students, staff and faculty from Duke Law are spearheading the program, but we've attracted volunteers from a number of schools and organizations so that we can provide valuable services to our neighbors throughout the city of Durham. This is town-and-gown cooperation at its best."

Local synagogue hosts speech on Israeli-Palestinian conflict

Professor Yaron Ezrahi, professor at Hebrew University and a frequent commentator on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, will explore approaches available to Israeli and American Jews in resolving the competing demands for safety and sovereignty among Israelis and Palestinians in an upcoming speech. Sponsored by Brit Tzedek, the Jewish Alliance for Justice and Peace, the address, "American Elections and Israeli Politics: Front-line Perspectives on the Middle East Peace Process," is scheduled for 7 to 8:30 p.m. Feb. 5 at Beth El Synagogue Social Hall. The event is free.

Share and discuss “Staff Report: Newsbriefs” on social media.