Staff Editorial: Letter to frosh hypocritical

Over the winter holiday, the University administration issued a letter to first-year students and their families, urging them to ponder their options with regard to pledging greek organizations. The letter warned them about the possible pitfalls of joining fraternities not recognized by the University's Interfraternity Council, specifically Eta Prime and Delta Phi Alpha--formerly known as Kappa Sigma and Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

Although the University has the right to inform students and parents about groups or situations they view as potentially dangerous, the letter was unnecessary, and addressed the administration's concerns in an inappropriate fashion.

First, the letter should have been sent to the students only. Freshman, although newly independent, should be entrusted with the right to make their own decisions, especially with regard to selecting the individuals with whom they will live, work and relax in college.

Parental input is of course important; however, it is likely that most students would discuss their intention to join a greek organization with their parents anyway.

In addition, the presence of the pitfalls commonly associated with greek life, including the consumption of alcohol and large parties, are not appreciably more prevalent off-campus than on-campus. The letter was obviously intended to play to parents' naturally over-protective nature. Many parents, after reading the letter, would be likely to express reservations about membership in an off-campus greek organization.

Further, one of the administration's primary concerns with regard to off-campus fraternities is their sustainability. Freshmen were warned that off-campus frats are prone to disillusion shortly after losing IFC recognition, and the administration did not want first-year students to join groups doomed to failure. This, however, is faulty logic. By tacitly encouraging first-year males to forgo membership in Eta Prime and Delta Phi Alpha, they are hastening their demise. In this respect, the letter is hypocritical. If the University's goal is to facilitate the disappearance of these fraternities from campus altogether, they should say so explicitly.

The University has a responsibility to protect its students from unreasonable activity and unlawful behavior. It is true that off-campus greek organizations are not under the strict University supervision that accompanies IFC-member fraternities. However, the manner in which the administration attempted to address the issue was inappropriate, and in the future, the administration should be up front and honest in stating its intentions.

Share and discuss “Staff Editorial: Letter to frosh hypocritical” on social media.