Merchants on Points sets record

While much of the University and the local Durham area stayed off the roads Sunday amid below-freezing temperatures, snow and ice, the school's Merchant on Points food delivery program recorded the largest single-day sales in its history.

"We had a record day with over $14,000 in sales with our Merchants on Points program," said Jim Wulforst, director of dining services.

Cinelli's Restaurant & Pizzeria, which is currently in its first year of delivery contract with the MOP program, sold over $5,700 worth of food to University students Sunday, an all-time high for the eatery.

"We did that amount of business with only four drivers," said Gaitano Cinelli, the restaurant's owner. "We only took orders for five hours yesterday but we had a surge of phone calls, begging us to deliver."

Cinelli cited employees' concerns about using their personal vehicles to make deliveries in hazardous road conditions as a primary reason for the limited delivery availability. Cinelli's orders were delivered by business-owned vehicles which are equipped with gas-heated ovens.

Nearly 90 percent of Cinelli's total business Sunday was through MOP as few frequented the Main Street establishment during its limited hours.

"We're going to go as long as the weather permits us [Monday]," Cinelli said.

Domino's Pizza also recorded an excellent day for food delivery sales through MOP. Manager Mack McDougald said the restaurant delivered around 350 orders to University students on points, although he was unable to report sales figures because of security concerns. The franchise was only open until 8 p.m. because of the inclement weather.

"We had an incredibly good day [Sunday]," McDougald said. "One of our main problems wasn't the weather but finding the students once we got to Duke."

Wulforst also said that Grace's Cafe had a brisk business day with successful sales with MOP. Torero's Restaurant also reported successful sales, earning $300 in two hours.

"Business is unbelievably busy because no one can go out--so basically we can be open and provide food for them," said William Bell, owner of Cibarius Incorporated, which delivers food for Torero's.

Although Cinelli's, Domino's, Grace's and Torero's operated under a limited schedule Sunday, all of the Duke Delivery Service companies except Francesca's Italian Cuisine & Grille were closed. Despite dangerous road conditions and weather remaining a hazard, the student-owned and operated company was operational Monday evening and expecting business.

"Students will be delivering and we're just encouraging [them] to be very careful in their deliveries [Monday night]," said DDS employee and Trinity junior Rhys Jones.

Share and discuss “Merchants on Points sets record” on social media.