Letters to the Editor: Relevant discussion needed

Right on, Al Dhalla. While I applaud Malaklou's gutsy approach to a tiptoed-around subject, modern double-standards by gender and women's sexuality, I rather feel that her article, as others in recent editorial columns, directs her readers to subscribe to her individual philosophy on sex relations. I suppose it may be an inherent result of any opinion-based column, but the trend in The Chronicle toward preachiness has gone too far, especially within the realm of letters to the editor. Whatever happened to "to each his own?" Had Malaklou not made the fatal error of trying to convince others to partake in her particular lifestyle choices, I doubt anyone would have true reason to be so offended. Good job, Malaklou, on speaking your mind. Personally I agree with some of your points and disagree with others--but regardless of my opinions, I respect your right to declare them without the redundant, self-righteous backlash of students who find it necessary to condemn you/your ideas to exonerate them from what they consider such a hedonistic (and therefore terrifying and forbidden) lifestyle. It's the way it's always been throughout history: what people don't know or don't understand simply scares them. Seriously, my fellow Duke students, give it up. If you just want to hear yourself talk, get a tape recorder. If you just want to see your name in print, write something legitimately informative for our newspaper instead of scolding your peers as if you already have the world all figured out.

Allison Gianino

Trinity '06

Share and discuss “Letters to the Editor: Relevant discussion needed” on social media.