Letter to the Editor: Sanford Deli's food quality questioned

Maybe I should be worrying about more pressing global issues or something, but I can't help being pissed off about the new Sanford Deli. I am completely convinced there is some kind of conspiracy at Duke University in relation to campus eateries. When I read the article at the start of the semester about the replacement of the old Sanford Deli, I was more than a little confused. Duke officials cited something about "student and faculty" demand being the primary reason for the implementation of a new deli. I thought that, like myself, everyone was obsessed with the old Sanford Deli.

My suspicions were confirmed when I read the letter from the old owners, stating that they had hundreds of signatures from students and faculty in support of renewing their contract. I was so glad that the letter exposed Duke's public relations efforts for what they really are: complete bulls----t. Duke is so scared to admit they don't support small family-owned businesses that they are willing to blatantly lie about it? Well, I put my resentment aside and decided to give the new deli a chance.

I soon decided that the chicken caesar wrap was decent enough--how can you really mess up a chicken caesar wrap, right? Well, one day as I sat reading The Chronicle and munching on my wrap, I thought it tasted funny. I ate the chicken, lettuce, and dressing one at a time to taste test and decided I was imagining things. Then I unraveled the wrap and much to my surprise, I found quite a lot of mold on the inside of the wrap. Though I was extremely disgusted, I brought the wrap back very politely and discretely to show the man who had made it for me.

He would not even take my word for it until I kindly asked him to take a closer look and he grudgingly affirmed that there was mold. After some hesitation and rude looks, he asked me if I wanted something else. I didn't. I finally decided that it was probably a one time thing and a few weeks later ordered another wrap. The same man made it for me and I asked him kindly if he would check the wrap before making my sandwich. Lo and behold, I found mold around the edges of the wrap again! I swear this is true. Two out of the six sandwiches I had eaten were moldy. A one in three chance that you get moldy food?

Then yesterday, I read in The Chronicle that the Sanford Deli received a ranking of five out of all the campus eateries! I couldn't believe it. The Great Hall might not have gourmet food, but at least the food is relatively fresh. Yes, I know I am probably dwelling a little too much about the problems of the new deli, but everyone I know wishes the old deli were back. Back in the day, people would frequent the Sanford Deli just for the delicious food and good service, even if they had no classes in the building. This doesn't happen anymore. Every single person I have talked to thinks the new deli is significantly worse than the old one. I know I won't bring the deli down with this one letter, but please do me a favor: check your food very carefully before you eat it.

Kristen Hardeman

Trinity '04

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor: Sanford Deli's food quality questioned” on social media.