News Briefs

Coach K donates scholarship in honor of brother

Men's basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski and his wife Mickie have donated $1 million to the University to endow an annual scholarship for a captain of the basketball team. The gift was made in honor of Krzyzewski's older brother, Bill, a retired captain of the Chicago Fire Department.

"I have always looked up to my brother as a great leader of men and women," Krzyzewski said. "What he has done as a captain in the Chicago Fire Department is truly inspirational. I would hope that every Duke basketball captain in the future that holds this scholarship would try to uphold those same standards of dedication and honor."

Captain K retired from the Chicago Fire Department this fall after serving the city for 38 years and amazingly, never missing a day of work.

In addition to amassing nearly 600 wins as Duke's most prominent coach, Krzyzewski and his wife have been long-time donors to Duke University. They currently serve as co-chairs for the Carolinas Challenge, a scholarship endowment program for North and South Carolina students to attend the University. In addition, they helped lead the effort to build Duke Children's Hospital and are annually involved with the Children's Miracle Network Telethon.

Raspberry to lead race coversation

The Jean E. and Christine P. Mills Conversation Series, addressing issues pertaining to race, will kick off Nov. 4 with a dialogue led by Washington Post columnist and Knight professor of communications and journalism William Raspberry.

The Pulitzer prize-winning journalist will deliver a 15 to 20 minute analysis of the question, "Should We Still Be Talking About Race?"

before turning the discussion over to those in attendance. The dialogue will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the Blue Lounge of the law school.

Amos Mills, Law '72, who is sponsoring the four-part conversaton series, said Americans desperately need to talk about race and to overcome barriers of fear and mistrust. He hopes the conversations will contribute to improving relationships among people of different skin colors and backgrounds.

Future topics include race and socioeconomic class, race and public education and white myths versus black reality.

Methodist founder to be honored

The United Methodist Church's two North Carolina bishops will lead a special 4 p.m. Sunday service in Duke Chapel, celebrating the 300th birthday of Methodist Church founder John Wesley.

The service will draw upon Wesley's own 1784 "Sunday Service" and the 1662 Book of Common Prayer, which Wesley would have used. Music will be provided by a brass ensemble and a choir of more than 200 singers from churches across the state.

Bishops Marion Edwards and Charlene Kammerer will preside, British minister Rev. Leslie Griffiths will give the sermon and President Nan Keohane will welcome attendees.

"There are nearly 600,000 United Methodists in North Carolina, 20 million Methodists in the United States and over 70 million worldwide who trace themselves to this man. I think it is important on this 300th anniversary to take time to look back at this important figure," said Ryan Danker, a divinity school student who is helping to organize the service.

Share and discuss “News Briefs” on social media.