Sigma Chi fraternity responds

This past Saturday we had a party themed "Viva Mexico" mainly because "X" appears in the name Mexico. It was designed to be a light-hearted celebration of the Mexican tourism scene. In no way was it intended to imply a political or social statement about Mexico, Mexican-Americans, immigrants or immigration policy. Obviously, it did not come off as such.

As was printed yesterday, Sigma Chi and I are apologetic to those who were offended by our actions and to the greater Duke community. Our initial failures were not recognizing the obvious stereotypes surrounding such a theme, and not addressing the political and cultural issues associated with it. Moreover, our chapter's leadership failed to adequately supervise the various advertisements and decorations created by separate teams of brothers.

Our actions were not maliciously motivated. There was and is no hatred or animosity within our brotherhood towards Mexico or Latino people in general. Our brothers are aware that this is the perception given from this weekend's event; however, this is not the reality of our fraternity. As a Latino, I would not have joined, let alone sought to lead an organization composed of racists.

I would like to thank all those individuals and groups who have approached Sigma Chi with critical comments, concerns and support. For those groups that chose to circumvent this route and spread the rumors that circulated until Wednesday, I now call upon you to help us in creating the dialogue of which this University is in dire need. We at Sigma Chi stand ready.

Marc Mattioli
Trinity '04,
The author is president of Sigma Chi Fraternity

Share and discuss “Sigma Chi fraternity responds” on social media.