Letter to the Editor: East Campus neighbor speaks out

I am one of many Duke alums who is also a resident of Trinity Park. I share the frustration of my neighbors over noise and trash associated with parties at the off-campus houses while reading of the Duke students' complaints that they are being treated unfairly and being denied their rights to socialize.

The issues seem very simple to me. If it is your understandable desire to live the life of a college student with the hours of a college student, then you really should live on a college campus. While there are rules on a college campus, they are likely to be far more friendly to your lifestyle than the rules of "the outside world" where people generally have to live in a way that is respectful of their neighbors.

Last night, Tuesday night, I was woken up at 2am by Duke students loudly shouting and talking behind one of the houses on Buchanan. No matter who is making the noise, most people would call the police if they are woken up in the middle of the night. I didn't, but it was only because I was too tired to! We have children who are sleeping and getting ready to get up and start their school day at 7:30am. And most of us have jobs that require that we get up at 6:30a.m. or earlier in order to get in to work on time and/or get our kids off to school.

I assume that none of you would want me to blare music out my window, honk my horn, run my leaf blower or lawn mower at 6:30am because you are probably pretty tired from the night before. And you can count on me and my neighbors not to do that. Please take this point of view when it comes to late night parties or gatherings. If you want to get together with friends, please do so without making it impossible for the rest of us to sleep and to enjoy our beautiful neighborhood. If you choose to get an early start on living in the "real world," then you have to expect to be held to the standards to which the rest of us are held.

Lisa Rist
Trinity '85

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor: East Campus neighbor speaks out” on social media.