Editorial: Students should get into the city

This past weekend, more than 100 freshman volunteered to participate in "Into the City," a day of service designed to expose first-year students to the Durham community, and the many opportunities for service that abound outside Duke's campus. However, while introductory service events like "Into the City" are well-attended, their success rarely carries over into the remainder of students' careers. A majority of Duke students volunteer for some type of service at one time or another during their time at the University, but many of them only do so once, or on a very irregular basis. At a school that takes pride in giving students a well-rounded "liberal-arts education," service should play a more prominent role.

The failure of many individuals to incorporate community service into their educational experience is indicative of deficiencies across multiple areas at the University. First, the lack of participation in service programs among upperclassmen is not the result of a lack of programs. Rather, it is a function of a lack of consistent and effective publicity for those programs. Throughout their first year, students' inboxes and commons rooms are inundated with presentations, marketplace tabling sessions and reminders of service events.

Frshamam recruiting is successful in large part because of the personal quality of advertising--students involved in service make an effort to interact with new students and discuss their experiences. However, once students move to West or Central campuses, such exposure drops off considerably. Flyers and advertisments are helpful, but lack the effectiveness of personal interaction. Further, many events are not registered with Duke Student Government or University officials, meaning that those responsible for sponsoring them cannot make use of common avenues of publicity like banners over the Bryan Center walkway.

The coordinators of the Community Service Center work hard to provide opportunities for service and outreach programs, but these efforts are much less effective without consistent, personal advertising to accompany them. The officials at the CSC should work closely with DSG's Committee for Community Interaction to ensure that service events and programs are publicized. In addition, service-oriented groups should make an effort to make presentations to selective groups and dorms on West Campus.

Even with these measures, the onus to perform service ultimately rests with individuals themselves. Community service is not mandatory, nor should it become so. Service loses much of its power when the people performing it are forced to be there. However, participating in service activities is something that will broaden students' personal experiences, and expand their views and ideas. These are all integral components to a complete college education. How many of us lauded our service accomplishments in our college applications? How many of us have continued to make service a priority? In the coming year, students should strive to truly get "into the city."

Share and discuss “Editorial: Students should get into the city” on social media.