In defense of the virtual Kiosk

As creator of the virtual Kiosk for posting flyers online, I am writing in response to Kumar Sukhdeo's argument that the virtual Kiosk should not replace paper flyers. The original intention that Eileen Quo and I had in creating the virtual Kiosk for posting flyers online was not to replace paper flyers because I do believe in the effectiveness of paper flyers.  

Like Mr. Sukhdeo, I also believe that there is a greater need for better advertisements of events on and off campus and that wooden Kiosks and places to flyer about events are too few and far between. In addition, I also agree that the flyer policy does need to be changed. These were the original motives for creating the virtual Kiosk: to enhance publicity of academic and social events, not hinder them!  

Sukhdeo remarks that the virtual Kiosk takes us one step closer to the elimination of paper flyers and probably the banners over the Bryan Center walkway, and would dismantle social life on campus. I am unable to follow this logic; the virtual Kiosk is meant to allow students, faculty, and administration to access flyers from a computer during all hours of the day to find out about events. How would this decrease attendance at social and academic events?

I agree that the disadvantages of the virtual Kiosk are that not everyone will go to a website everyday, nor can one view a website while walking to class or waiting for the bus. 

However how often does one have time to read or literally is able to read flyers posted upon flyers on the current wooden Kiosks? It is constantly a competition for student groups and departments to see who can flyer the most across campus with the loudest and most colorful flyers. The virtual Kiosk allows each flyer to have ample space to be read in its entirety by the Duke community.  

The virtual Kiosk also stemmed from the many complaints from Duke students that events are not well-publicized and a website for flyers was needed. Thus, that is the role of a university's student government: to serve the needs and requests of the students. My goal with the virtual Kiosk was to serve as an additional means of advertisement!  

I encourage all to continue posting paper flyers, but also to continue submitting flyers to dukeflyers@yahoo.com or via the flyer drop-box, and to regularly check out dsg.duke.edu/kiosk to find out about events. 

Linda Arnade  

Trinity '06 

Share and discuss “In defense of the virtual Kiosk” on social media.