WEL, get on it

Recent events both on and off-campus point to the fact that a greater emphasis needs to be placed on creating viable on-campus social options that are readily accessible to all students, affiliated and independent. The most successful such attempt thus far has been the transformation of the Armadillo Grill into a pseudo-bar. However, it is obvious that more social outlets are needed. Since the construction of the West-Edens Link last year, numerous student leaders have suggested that the fifth floor of the McClendon Tower in the WEL, currently used for sparse "student programming," be transformed into some kind of social space akin to the Hideaway, which closed three years ago. Currently, the space is being wasted, and with it, an opportunity to make a positive impact on the social scene at Duke. 

The declining on-campus social scene can be traced in large part to the inconsistency of the University's policy in emphasizing the importance of non-exclusive, campus-oriented socializing, while at the same time, offering students very little in the way of tangible places and events at which to do so. Less than five years ago, the Hideaway served as a legitimate option for on-campus hanging out, and served alcohol. The void left by its departure has never been filled. The Armadillo Grill and its weekend bands are a welcome destination once in a while, but the Armadillo was never intended to be a large-scale student social space. It's maximum capacity is quite low, and there is little to do if you are not 21.  

After the opening of the WEL last year, Campus Council passed a resolution recommending that the administration use the fifth floor of the WEL to open a sports-oriented, Duke-themed sports bar. Student leaders correctly stressed that the McClendon Tower's panoramic views and location in the center of the residential area, make it a perfect space to use for social activities. The second and third floors have since been outfitted with large-screen televisions and game-room equipment, however, the fifth floor is still largely unused. Although University officials have hinted that a new sports bar will be opened in the student village, making one in the WEL obsolete, the space should be used to foster social interaction in the interem.  

The fifth floor of the WEL is the most under-utilized space on campus. While opening a large bar/eatery that serves alcohol may be unrealistic, the University should commit to investigating the best options for the space immediately, and listen to what the students recommend. 

Share and discuss “WEL, get on it” on social media.