Football earns award for perfect graduation rate

Duke football is No. 1 again where it really matters - in the classroom.

The Blue Devils have been named the winner of the American Football Coaches Association's 2003 Academic Achievement Award, given annually to the football program with the highest graduation rate in the country. Duke's rate was a pristine 100 percent.

The award, which Duke has now won a record 11 times, was based on the graduation rates for the freshmen that enrolled in the 1997-98 school year.

"We are proud to receive the AFCA's Academic Achievement Award for the 11th time," head football coach Carl Franks said in a statement.

"Duke has always had a strong commitment to graduating members of the student body, as well as its student-athletes. Our coaching staff takes great pride in the academic success of the players, and credit also needs to be extended to our academic support system."

The overall graduation rate of the 102 Division I-A schools that responded was 59 percent, which is one percent less than last year's tally.

The median graduation rate was 59 percent, down two percent from last year, and up one percent from the four previous years.

The ACC was well-represented in the statistics, as both Wake Forest and Virginia had graduation rates greater than 70 percent.

In fact, the Demon Deacons had a rate of 90 percent or better, along with Boston College, Connecticut, Vanderbilt, Rice and Northwestern.

The Cavaliers placement earned them honorable mention from the AFCA, marking the 18th time that Virginia has achieved this award.

Duke's numbers are far more impressive, however, as the Blue Devil football program has had a graduation rate of 70 percent or higher every year since 1986.

Share and discuss “Football earns award for perfect graduation rate” on social media.