MUSIC: All Apologies

Talk about your family rivalries. Lead vocalists, Matt Oberst of Chapel Hill-based Sorry About Dresden, and Connor Oberst of Bright Eyes, are two brothers whose grating vocals serve as the trademarks of their respective bands.

The difference between the two, however, is that Bright Eyes's new album has generated tons of hype - with comparisons even springing up between Connor and Bob Dylan-while the buzz around Sorry About Dresden's new album, Let It Rest, has been close to nil.

And for good reason. Let It Rest simply does not hold up to anything released by Bright Eyes. Throughout the album, hackneyed rock riffs drown out the sound of Oberst's raspy vocals. The punk-rock opener, "Bed and Lawns," is as pleasing to the ear as the sound of a rusty chainsaw ripping through a piece of metal.

Things brighten up with the next selection, "Approaching Dawn" and its thoroughly catchy staccato beat and equally staccato vocals. There are also a few other gems hidden in the garbled noise of Let It Rest. The one-of-a-kind "When You Cared" shows off the band's potential as they emphasize melody over clang, and with the mellow number, "Relax, It's Tuesday," the shortcomings of the album are almost forgotten. Almost.

This catchiness is not sustained throughout the album, a smorgasbord of mediocre and oftentimes unbearable musical samples. Before it reaches its finale, the listener must wade through too much of a jangling clash of acerbic vocals and jarring instrumentals. The sound of Let It Rest is definitely familiar, too familiar. It's a copycat sound that's been done and pulled off better by other acts such as Pavement, Superchunk, Cursive and yes, Bright Eyes.

• Robert Winterode

Share and discuss “MUSIC: All Apologies” on social media.