Letter: Rather than complain, work to make Duke better

Bitter people just don't know how to have fun. Okay, so maybe that's just a sweeping generalization. However, I am getting fed up with seeing someone complaining about Duke and how it sucks and this and that every time I open up The Chronicle. Since when did complaining ever get anyone anywhere?

Maybe instead of complaining to the masses via disembodied columns and editorials, people should try doing something about whatever is bothering them. I'm not saying going to Duke is all sunshine and roses, but most people here probably chose to come here. If you find it lacking, maybe you chose for the wrong reasons. Or maybe you just haven't learned yet that things won't always simply fall into your lap and turn out exactly how you want them.

I propose that, for once, people try making themselves happy rather than expecting someone else (Duke or some other entity) to do it for them. You think the social scene is lacking? Do something about it. You think the administration is heavy-handed and restrictive? Do something about it. No, I am not offering any suggestions or answers, because I am not the one complaining. I don't feel like I have to lie to p-froshes on tours. No, this school isn't perfect - thank goodness. Perfection is boring.

Kristen Aldebol

Trinity '05

Share and discuss “Letter: Rather than complain, work to make Duke better” on social media.