FILM: Super Duper! Dinner and a Movie

A man in a yellow cape attempts to hang a bird feeder in his backyard. "He just wants to be a normal guy," says a voiceover. Who is this mystery man? Why it's Superguy, star of the movie by the same name. A "mockumentary" detailing the life of an ordinary man with extraordinary powers, the film stars Mark Teague as an everyman's Superman, whose humanity and imperfection foretell his eventual downfall. Though the film's moral message is quite heavy-handed and could use some tighter editing; it does have a few memorable characters. The president of the Superguy fan club provides a few chuckles, as do the cult of "Supies" - Superguy worshippers. All in all, most of the Recess staffers watching seem interested in the idea for the film, if not intrigued by its execution.

You may be wondering, where did the Recess staff come across this virtually unknown independent film? Why, at Wild Bull's Pizza, naturally.

In an attempt to offset the loss of revenue caused by the excess of Merchants on Points and the opening of an all-night eatery on campus, Marty Solomon, owner of Wild Bull's, has devised a new strategy to draw Duke students and community members to his restaurant: He'll show you a movie while you eat. Think of it as a low-budget, live version of that obnoxious "Dinner and A Movie" show on TBS, with less schmaltzy talk, more obscure movies and, well, pizza.

Solomon, through a friendship with Gennaro D'Onofrio, the father of actor Vincent D'Onofrio, has access to all the independent films that will be coming to this year's River Run Film Festival in Brevard, N.C., (see next week's issue). Solomon plans to show these films for free at Wild Bull's, so you'll be able to catch a sneak preview of this year's festival right off Hillsborough Street. If the idea catches on, Solomon may run a regular movie night. For now, he could probably be convinced to throw on a movie of your choice - which probably shouldn't be Superguy - while you enjoy a slice or two.

Share and discuss “FILM: Super Duper! Dinner and a Movie” on social media.