MUSIC: Arlo: Not Doing 'Alice' No Mo'

Arguably the best modern American musician with the first name "Arlo," Arlo Guthrie has earned a place among the greatest folk singers of his generation. In the pantheon of 1960s protest musicians, Guthrie has made his own identity: clearer-spoken than Dylan, less angry than Ochs, more facial hair than Baez and not nearly as sh--ty as Peter, Paul and Mary. Guthrie's most famous songs include "The City of New Orleans," "The Motorcycle Song" and "Alice's Restaurant," a ballad that is longer than the NHL season.

Despite Arlo's own oeuvre, much of his fame comes through his family connections - Woodie Guthrie, the insanely prolific author of "This Land is Your Land," "Rueben James" and other elementary-school-concert favorites, was his father.

Sports writer, Recess moonlighter and Gemini Paul Crowley got the chance to chat with Arlo, who will be performing at Duke Monday. The two discussed the influence Saddam Hussein has on his live performances, the slowdown that accompanies old age and why he doesn't play "Alice's Restaurant" anymore.

Recess: You came of age as a songwriter during the Vietnam War, the golden age of protest music. How does today's conflict with Iraq impact your set lists and songwriting?

Arlo Guthrie: Well, I don't have set lists. We just try to get into a groove that works. I've found myself going back to some of the old stuff from that era. Those songs appear important again.

Which of your old songs have you been liking more?

To be honest, I haven't given it a lot of thought. But I'll tell you: I haven't done "Alice" in a couple of years mostly because I only have two hours on stage, and I don't want to give half of it to one song. Also, I tried to get through it a few years ago, and I'd forgotten some of the words. So I'll leave that to others.

Which younger folksingers do you particularly like to listen to?

Well, I've gotten the chance to hang around with a lot of people I like at festivals and that sort of thing. I like a lot of that music, especially Ellis Paul. It's a good time for songwriting. But the last thing we want to do is listen to more music when we get offstage.

You have performed with your father, and now you tour with your son and daughter. How do family life and touring mix?

There's something really nice about it. After the show, you have some people to hang around with; if it were a band, we'd probably just go our separate ways afterwards. It's a dream my father always had, and it's nice to fulfill it.

How does songwriting fit in with touring?

I haven't written a whole lot of stuff in the past few years. When I was a kid, I used to write 10 songs a day. Now I'm lucky to get a few lines done.

Arlo will play Monday at 8 p.m. in Page Auditorium as part of the Duke University Union's OnStage program. Tickets range from $9 to 15.

Share and discuss “MUSIC: Arlo: Not Doing 'Alice' No Mo'” on social media.