ARTS: Not Your Typical Ballet

If you are expecting tutus and Tchaikovsky, you might want to reconsider. The fourth annual Ballet Choreolab features an eclectic mix of Prince, Johnny Mathis and pointe - not to mention lucid choreography and mod costumes. Reasserting ballet as social commentary and musical dialogue, Duke Dance will present this stunning medley of experimental pieces at Reynolds Theater Friday and Sunday.

This year's performance will showcase four pieces, featuring a new work by assistant dance professor Tyler Walters. Before joining Duke Dance five years ago, Walters danced professionally with the highly esteemed Joffrey Ballet. His piece for Choreolab is entitled "Vigil" and is set to a selection of Rachmaninov's Vespers.

Commissioned by the parents of Duke alumna Marion Rucker, "Vigil" examines the evolution of society post-Sept. 11. He would not describe the dance as a political statement, but rather an inquiry into "how we have changed the way we look at each other."

Another highlight of the program is "Pop Life," the senior project of Alyah Baker. She is the only student choreographer in Choreolab, marking her debut for Duke Dance. Clad in Warhol-inspired costumes, her dancers will move to the beat of none other than an artist formerly known. As a lifelong fan of Prince, Baker refuses to dismiss his work under the guise of pop culture. "Most of Prince's songs have a strong social statement that a lot of people miss", Baker said. "He is a genius."

In "Pop Life" she examines identity under the realm of postmodernism, with dance serving in the role of social critic. "In this life all you have is yourself, and so you should accept and enjoy that."

The two other pieces in Choreolab were choreographed by Associate Professor M'Liss Dorrance. Both "Sentimental Journey" and "Take Five" involve intimate investigations into the ballads of Johnny Mathis and jazz standards of Paul Desmond.

This year's Choreolab will also no doubt laud an efficacious honor to the power of art in times of war. In the words of Baker, "The arts have always been an escape from what's going on in the world, as well as a means for exploring a new social consciousness."

-Julia Fryett

Check out Choreolab Friday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m. in Reynolds Theater. Tickets are $12 for the public and $7 for students.

Share and discuss “ARTS: Not Your Typical Ballet” on social media.