Wang hopes to rid DSG of 'inefficiency, ineffectiveness'

This is the fifth story in a five-part series profiling this year's candidates for Duke Student Government president.

More than likely, Shaomeng Wang has let your Craven Quadrangle friends into their locked rooms at three o'clock in the morning.

Now, the two-year residential adviser and Duke Student Government presidential hopeful thinks he has the key to fixing the campus' primary governing body.

Although he has only one year of experience as a legislator in DSG's academic affairs committee, Wang said he is capable of serving as president and cited a need for structural change in the organization.

"In my first year in DSG, I've seen how it operates; I've seen its weaknesses," the junior said. "I thought the things we do in DSG don't mean anything. We give opinion, but no physical things are being done by DSG."

Wang, a biomedical engineering and economics double major from Elko, Nev., said he plans to legitimize DSG's existence by leading the organization beyond words and into serious action.

"I'm an engineer. I'm a problem solver," he said. "DSG currently has problems of inefficiency and ineffectiveness, and I hope to bring my logical problem-solving skills to the table in DSG."

Wang said he decided to run after discussing the shortcomings of DSG with current president Joshua Jean-Baptiste. Despite DSG's inefficiencies, Wang said, the organization has initiated discussion on possible internal changes - such as Jean-Baptiste's restructuring proposal - which he hopes to see to fruition if elected.

"The exec[utive] board should be more cohesive and not necessarily free from differing opinion but free from dissent from personal tiffs," Wang said of the plan, which would create a ticket format for electing top officials.

In addition to making the executive board more cohesive, Wang said he hopes to expand DSG's role with student groups. "Smaller organizations may need the manpower and organization of DSG," he said. "[In addition to appropriating funds,] DSG should have a more proactive role in planning and funding... [and] help smaller organizations if there is no participation."

Vice President for Academic Affairs Lyndsay Beal, whose committee Wang sits on as a legislator, said she shares Wang's outlook on DSG involvement with student groups.

"Particularly with advising, the student groups could really use our help," Beal said. "DSG represents student groups as well, so it is important that we have a dynamic relationship."

Wang has worked this year on establishing a preceptorial program - once-a-month classes taught by professors - but the project has yet to be implemented.

Despite his lack of DSG experience, Wang said he is experienced with a wide range of student issues through his role as a residential adviser in Pegram Dormitory last year and Craven Quadrangle this year.

"RAs, especially on East, are the most underestimated leadership on campus," he said. "As an RA, I'm very qualified for DSG. RAs are aware of what's going on around campus and aware of issues students face."

He added that his experience has helped him to become a fast decision-maker.

Sophomore Jason Lavender, who currently lives in Craven Quad, wrote in an e-mail that Wang has been a very accommodating leader. "He has a thorough understanding of student issues affecting the entire Duke community," Lavender wrote. "I believe that DSG would benefit from a president whose background is rooted in residential and student life."

As the only minority candidate running for the top spot this year, Wang said he believes he is in touch with minority issues. He added, however, that his vision for DSG goes beyond any particular student group. "As DSG president, there will be no issues relating to ethnic groups, just issues relating to Duke," he said.

In addition to his one year on DSG, Wang said he has additional qualifying experience both on- and off-campus. Two summers ago, he worked as an intern in the office of Sen. John Ensign, R-Nev. Last summer, he worked as assistant in the Office of Judicial Affairs.

He said that despite his lack of DSG experience, his attitude and ideas are enough to make him an effective president. "I'm a genuine person. I think I keep it real," he said. "The election is about issues and capabilities, and I have just as much capability [as other candidates], if not more."

Share and discuss “Wang hopes to rid DSG of 'inefficiency, ineffectiveness'” on social media.