Trends: Faran's Bargain Basement

Wish you could smell bargains the way you can smell your roommate's hash? Don't we all. If you love spending money you don't have, we've got a deal for you. Recess combed the Triangle, searching for the chicest stuff at the cheapest price, and it's all right here in one column. Is that a bargain or what?

Our first stop was T.J. Maxx along 15-501 South. A discount department store, T.J. Maxx was maxed out with brand names and red tickets - the kind that say $30 for a sexy Kenneth Cole suit and $10 for a slinky Guess top. The shoe section featured Chinese Laundry stilettos ($15) and Bisou-Bisou heels ($25 and gorgeous). T.J. Maxx also had a huge section of discount home goods like pillows, wine glasses and comforters - perfect for newbies in Erwin or the Belmont.

Next we continued on to the Untidy Museum, a thrift store on Chapel Hill Road. Among the exhibited were dresses that screamed Mrs. Robinson, piles of jeans we wished could tell stories and the obligatory tuxedos of yesteryear. Great for theme party finds - this place is also great for gypsy, Jackie-O or surfer-girl looks seen riding the runways this season ($10-$30). Bonus: Thrift World, another vintage dig, is right across the way.

Back on Ninth Street, the Lookout! outlet served up helpings from Express and Ann Taylor. The store wasn't quite the bargain paradise T.J. Maxx proved to be, but it did have way more things you could wear to class. From sweater sets to sweet little skirts ($15-$40), Lookout! had what we were looking for, and the location couldn't be beat.

If you like shopping at home, try the style files at Bluefly.com. Featuring over 50 designer names, the site breaks down its goods by clothing type, size, price and popularity. From Fendi baguettes ($300--$500) to Calvin Klein tops ($15), Bluefly isn't always cheap, but finding a steal is amazing...scored three pairs of Earl jeans for $40 each.

Paying retail is so last season. Check out these killer bargains, and we promise you'll be totally sold on shopping sales.

• Faran Krentcil

Share and discuss “Trends: Faran's Bargain Basement” on social media.