Books: The Blackburn Literary Festival

Bookworms unite!

Today marks the start of the Blackburn Literary Festival, one of the oldest annual traditions at Duke, dating back to 1959. Each year, the student-run group attracts renowned authors across the literary community to Duke for various panel discussions and readings in the hopes of fostering literary discussion.

"Literature is a fundamental part of our culture not only as Americans but as human beings," Morris said. "What makes literature so wonderfully accessible is its medium - language."

As described by Grand Vice Archon (co-chair) and organizer of the fiesta, Ben Morris, the festival is most certainly not "Writer Appreciation Week." Instead, the Blackburn is one of the few events where students can come together in intimate settings to discuss their passion for literature with established authors - past attendees include Toni Morrison, Michael Ondaajte, Joyce Carol Oates and Paul Auster.

This year's list of heavyweights are just as impressive.

The festival kicks off tonight with a special screening of The Hours, followed tomorrow by an informal lunch and reading with its author Michael Cunningham. Cunningham will also partake in a panel discussion on the adaptation of books to films.

Showcasing the breadth of writers the festival has been able to attract, the Blackburn also features recent Poet's Prize winner Betty Adcock, Independence Day author and former Blackburn Visiting Professor Richard Ford, and current Blackburn Visiting Professor Robert Morgan.

"We at the Blackburn Festival try to connect those who have made language their art with those who are trying to do the same," Morris said.

• Malavika Prabhu

Tuesday, Betty Adcock will be reading selections of her work at the Thomas Reading Room at 7 p.m. Stick around afterwards for some eats and a book signing, too!

Share and discuss “Books: The Blackburn Literary Festival” on social media.