More remembrances of Maggie

continued from page 14 of The Chronicle....

Maggie,

Since you were so in love with life,/

and the cute boy from Arizona,/

Since your laptop had to be bright orange, and you made everyone/

googly eyed leopard-print stuffed protozoa for Christmas,/

Since you decided to wear your flip-flops to the semi-formal/

Because those one inch heels hurt just way too much/

Since your eyes were always sparkly and smiley/

when we walked in and the heater was on full blast,/

Since only YOU knew what a wonderful study spot/

the greenhouse behind the Bio building is/

Since you were so tall, shiny and bright,/

and we were the dark angry little Asian girls,/

Since we would sit out on the bench,/

eating Peachy-Os and your Canadian chocolates,/

Since you always remembered to stock our fridge with hummus,/

and stone wheat thins, the 216 House G midnight snack/,

And since we knew you forgave him RIGHT AWAY when Jasen broke apart/

one of your prized poop fossils/,

We love you brucienewfie.

Diana Huang

Trinity '04

Maggie Schneider had an amazing love for life. She enjoyed life and was excited by so many things. One of the common interests that Maggie and I shared was dinosaurs: me from my Biology of Dinosaurs class and hers from her paleontology class. Last year during the second semester I made a trip over to Raleigh to visit the science museum, and since the two of us were dino buddies, I invited Maggie along. When we finished touring the museum I bought a plaster reproduction of a dinosaur finger claw. A few days later her paleontology class was going on a field trip and since I knew the TA, I had asked to come along. Maggie had been talking about this trip for about a week straight. The night before the trip, I was talking to Maggie on Instant Messenger from my apartment, and her typing was terrible. Some of the things she said were hardly readable. Joking, I asked her "Maggie, are you drunk?" to which she replied "No, I'm typing with my Acrocanthosaurus claw." I said to her "But I thought you didn't get one when we went to the museum." I burst out laughing when she told me "I know. I'm just pretending." I saw her the next day and she explained that she had been sitting at her keyboard, growling and typing with finger curled in the shape of a claw. Maggie Schneider was one of the most unique people I have ever known, and being with her was always a pleasant adventure. I mourn not only for her but for the rest of the world as well, which has lost one of the brightest spirits it has ever seen.

Dave Parrot

Trinity '04

On our P-Wild trip, Maggie carried at least five extra pounds of candy and stuff around on her small frame so we would always have something to snack on in the middle of the trail. She volunteered to switch packs with me-her expensive custom-adjustable pack for my bruising and ill-fitting pack-saying she wanted to do everything she could to make sure I had a good experience. She gave me her chapstick because I couldn't find mine. She made us macaroni and cheese in the middle of the woods in the middle of the night after our solos] because she didn't want us to be hungry. She made us cinammon rolls with only a frying pan and a barely working stove-it turned out as one big piece of dough instead of little rolls, but it tasted great. She put up with my inexperienced-hiker whining. More concerned about our safety than hers, she traded her working flashlight for my dim and unhelpful one even as she fearlessly lead us down a slippery mountain path in the middle of the night during a lightning storm. She made bushwhacking fun. While half our group waited for the other half to return with water, she decided we should make lunch for the water-seekers-not just any old lunch, but a sandwich personalized for each group member with each person's first initial made of banana chips glued on the sandwich with peanut butter. She never ever doubted our ability to find our way. She challenged us but never pushed too hard. She knew when to intervene and when to let us work things out ourselves. She was so enthusiastic and so interested in people-she asked insightful questions, even about little things, that let you know she really paid attention and was involved in every conversation she had. Being around her and her constant smile, you knew she was intent on getting the most out of every day, and that she would never let anger or sadness or regret wring her dry like some people do. You got the feeling that she had genuinely never met someone she didn't like, or a situation she couldn't find the bright side of. Like everyone else, I only wish I had had the chance to spend more time in her glow.

Caroline Patterson

Trinity '06

Share and discuss “More remembrances of Maggie” on social media.