Men's soccer hosts No. 1 Wake

Edgar Allen Poe himself could not have thought up a better story line for Halloween weekend: Demon Deacons vs. Blue Devils.

The tell-tale signs all point to a memorable contest, as undefeated Wake Forest (11-0-4, 3-0-2 in the ACC) comes into the contest with a lofty No. 1 national ranking. Duke has already recorded two conference upsets this season in front of raucous home crowds, over then-No. 2 Clemson and North Carolina. The support will be imperative once again if Duke is to upset its intrastate rivals and roll into the postseason with plenty of momentum.

The game has huge implications for both squads, as a win would ensure at least a share of the ACC title for either team. A Duke victory coupled with a Maryland loss to Virginia would make the Blue Devils (10-5-1, 3-2) the co-conference champs. And if Virginia wins and Duke loses, the Demon Deacons will own the title outright.

"It's a very big game," co-captain Scott Noble said. "It's a big time position for the ACC tournament in a couple weeks, and then confidence, as well, going into the post season."

Duke has been playing some of its best soccer as of late, despite splitting a pair of games this past weekend. This can be attributed to improved team health and an acclimation to a new defensive scheme. Adam Guren and Matt Ahumada have spearheaded the defensive efforts all year, and will be pivotal Friday against a Wake Forest offense that scored a whopping 10 goals in its most recent game. The Demon Deacons' biggest threat, All-American Jeremiah White, has a modest seven goals and three assists in 2002.

"The way we're going to approach it is that just make sure they don't get any balls through, or anything over the top, because the guy [White] is real quick, he's a fast player, he likes to run onto the ball," Guren said. "I think the way we'll set up is play more defensively, we'll just play deeper so there won't be any easy balls through. There's not going to be a lot of space behind us, so just keep him in front of us."

Wake Forest's attack is similar to that of North Carolina, who Duke beat earlier this season at Koskinen Stadium. Against the Tar Heels, defender Mark Mattern led a flawless defensive effort as Duke successfully shut down North Carolina's quick offensive players. But as head coach John Rennie attests, the Blue Devils will need to ameliorate their efforts Saturday night to overcome the nation's top team.

"Wake Forest plays the most unique... game," Rennie said. "They're very intent on playing a possession game, and having the ball the whole game, and using their speed up front to score. They're probably the best team in the league in terms of having very good players everywhere, and they're a very hard working, aggressive team."

Owoicho Adogwa and Jordan Cila bear the load of creating offensive opportunities for Duke, as the pair has scored a combined 13 goals and tallied 11 assists. Their job will be encumbered by goalie William Hesmer, who is second all-time in save percentage for the Demon Deacons.

Regardless, success for Duke will hinge on defensive play. Duke has more reason for optimism against Wake Forest then it would have had at any other point in the season, however.

"We're almost healthy," Rennie said. "This could be the first game of the year where we would start our starting team. That doesn't mean that they're played-in and ready to be consistent, but that's been our problem. I think if you look back since I've been here this is the fewest number of shutouts I think of any Duke team because it's been a revolving door defensively. If we can stay healthy tomorrow, I think we have a chance to have a real good defensive effort, which we're going to need to shut Wake Forest down."

For a team that was picked in the preseason to finish sixth in the conference, the Blue Devils are excited just to be in the hunt for an ACC title.

Though the game may be a vindication for Duke soccer, the mere presence of one player--Scott Noble--will be a victory in and of itself. The fifth-year senior sat out last season following a kidney transplant, and instead of graduating with his classmates, opted to return to finish his soccer career with his teammates. Saturday will be his final ACC game at Koskinen Stadium.

"It's just a tremendous testament to his own personal character," Rennie said. "To go through a life-threatening situation and make the choice that he wanted to fight through it and have this whole year to finish his career is a remarkably positive, wonderful story."

For Noble, however, team accomplishments outweigh any personal aspirations--he just wants to win.

"It's definitely exciting, and hopefully you step on the field the last time and make it very memorable and play your best game," he said.

A victory over the top-ranked team in the country would certainly prove to be a contest the Blue Devils would forget nevermore.

Share and discuss “Men's soccer hosts No. 1 Wake” on social media.