IFC votes to include Chi Psi

For the first time in three years, the Interfraternity Council is expanding its membership to a group once wary of the greek scene at Duke.

Chi Psi fraternity joined IFC--the main governing body for on-campus fraternities--late Tuesday evening. After viewing a presentation by Chi Psi, presidents representing each of the 14 fraternities in IFC voted unanimously to accept the non-residential group, which was founded in 1986 and currently consists of 28 members, into its umbrella organization.

Senior Jeremy Morgan, IFC president, said Chi Psi will have one year of probationary status before it can become an official member.

In that time, however, Chi Psi will essentially function as a full chapter in the IFC with the same requirements as the other chapters and will participate in the IFC recruitment process this January.

"For all intents and purposes, they're in," Morgan said. "It's a great thing for them to join our umbrella organization and receive official recognition from the University."

Senior Nick Superina, Chi Psi president, said he was thrilled to finally become part of IFC. "We're definitely pleased with the decision," he said. "We definitely want to start up next semester."

Todd Adams, assistant dean of students and director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, said Chi Psi will be recognized by the University and IFC, which will allow them to interact with other groups, use resources that are available through the OFSL and publicize themselves through joint events.

He said the inclusion of another chapter reflects the inclusive community which greek chapters are striving to embody.

"This year, we're concentrating on the coming together of the greek community," said Adams, adding that Sigma Phi Epsilon was the last fraternity to join IFC in 1999. "The time was ripe for coming in."

Many Chi Psi members said they believe their fraternity matches the new image and objectives of the IFC, which recently included changes in recruitment.

"Our group fits nicely with ideals that [IFC is] trying to do on campus," said junior Matt Dolan, Chi Psi's recruitment chair.

"We're just really excited about the opportunity to become a full fledged member of the greek community."

Superina said IFC and its chapters are encouraging more responsible behavior and are transitioning the recruitment process in a way that reflects Chi Psi's recruitment system, which is based upon personal interaction with one-on-one dinners and community service.

"Our founders were initially disillusioned by IFC's recruitment process in the late 1980s," Superina said. "The recruitment process has moved closer to what we value as a brotherhood."

Senior Christopher Brandaleone, a member of Chi Psi, said he has observed a shift in the greek community since he came to the University, noting that the changes have merged Chi Psi with the other IFC chapters.

"Being a senior, I saw the tail end of the old duke-type [party scene] and the transition to more of a close-knit brotherhood," he said.

Chi Psi members said they look forward to being a part of a structured recruitment schedule and could use their outsider perspective to attract more male freshmen to recruitment.

"I definitely feel what we'll bring to the organization is the experience of not being part of the IFC," Superina said.

"Having an outsider perspective, we'll expand recruitment to target freshmen that may or may not join a fraternity," said junior Justin Sabrsula, Chi Psi secretary. "We'll bring a fresh point of view and issues affecting greek life."

Chi Psi has been discussing the possibility of joining IFC for two years.

This year, Chi Psi came to IFC with a willingness to join, Morgan said, adding that two fraternities--Phi Kappa Psi and Sigma Alpha Epsilon--have been removed in the past two years.

Adams said the move was facilitated because the fraternity already had an established national headquarters and an alumni base.

"It's great because they have been operating," said Adams, who is also the adviser to IFC. "They have pieces in place."

Share and discuss “IFC votes to include Chi Psi” on social media.