Franks working on team's fundamentals for Tech

Seeming more relaxed than usual at his weekly press conference, head football coach Carl Franks spent the bye week working on the fundamentals that he believes have been forgotten during the season when every game is a must-win.

"You don't normally get time during the season, though we do spend time on fundamentals in each practice, because you've got to move on to the team you are playing," Franks said. "You have to prepare for the schemes they have, and the different things you have to do to get ready to play a game. So we made sure we took some time to work on fundamentals at each position."

Franks said that the defense worked on tackling and producing turn-overs, while the offense worked on its angles and steps with the quarterbacks practicing their throwing mechanics.

"[We worked on] just general things that we tried to clean up that you might have gotten sloppy on the course of the season," Franks said.

Franks stressed that he did not approve of sophomore quarterback Adam Smith's performance against Maryland, saying Smith played much better against Clemson, even though he over-threw his receivers a number of times. Franks called over-throwing much better than under-throwing because eventually receivers will catch the long passes.

"You cannot under-throw the ball," Franks said.

Franks also addressed the poor play of kicker Brent Garber of late. Franks said that the strong-legged junior had hurt himself warming up for the game against Clemson, but did not tell the coach. Franks said that Garber is questionable for Saturday's game against Georgia Tech.

Franks said he gave the players off Friday Nov. 8 and Saturday Nov. 9 to rest. He said that this allowed many players who would have been slowed by injuries, including junior running back Chris Douglas, to be at 100 percent.

"We had some guys that weren't at full speed this week that will be now," Franks said. "We needed a little bit of time off."

Franks also said that he used the extra time to look at Georgia Tech, Saturday's opponent, more carefully. He said that he was greatly impressed with its linebackers.

"We're first in the conference against the rush, and they're second," Franks said. "They've been impressive to watch play. They're linebackers are very athletic. They mix-it-up up front quite a bit."

Franks additionally gave praise to his own defense, saying that junior Shawn Johnson deserves to make the All-ACC team.

"He's leading the league in sacks, what more do you need to do," Franks said. "I think that shows that he's played against pretty good competition. To be leading the league in sacks at this point is a pretty significant statistic."

Franks had kudos for much improved sophomore receiver Khary Sharpe, as well. Franks said that Sharpe has worked very hard at his game, and is a lesson for all young players looking to improve.

"He made a lot of big catches for us at the end of [last] season," Franks said. "He then came back and picked up where he left off. We had a tough time hitting deep balls until this year, and he's part of the reason. He has the speed to get down there, and he makes some good catches. He's a guy that shows the rest of our receivers what you can do when you work hard."

Franks also mentioned that the team had been practicing a number of trick-plays in contrast to the fundamentals during the bye week, and left some suspicion as to whether he is going to play advant-garde football for the rest of the season.

"We always have stuff we haven't used," Franks said. "Sometimes you save a few things, sometimes you think of new things. You're always looking for a different, special play to use."

Franks feels that a season-ending win will do wonders for Duke next year.

"I think it's important if we play very well the last two games, and we need to win both or one," Franks said. "We need to win to carry us into the off-season."

Share and discuss “Franks working on team's fundamentals for Tech” on social media.