Donors ask for removal of gargoyles

When the University created gargoyles resembling donors Aubrey and Kathleen McClendon, it hoped to surprise the couple that had given so much to residential life.

The McClendons were surprised, but not in the way the University hoped.

The couple took a tour of the West-Edens Link last Friday and were shocked to see their own images looking back at them from two gargoyles perched over the doorway to the WEL's McClendon Tower, which is named after them.

Earlier this week, they asked the University to remove the gargoyles.

"Their reaction was one of surprise, but they were, as they always are, very gracious," said Peter Vaughn, director of communications and donor relations. "Earlier this week, though, they let us know it was a bit too much. They are very private people and they were a little overwhelmed at how prominent [the gargoyles] were."

Administrators said the gargoyles would come down as soon as something can be found to replace them. Executive Vice President Tallman Trask said the replacements will likely be stone carvings. The Herald-Sun of Durham, however, reported that a plaque might occupy the empty spaces.

The stone castings of the husband and wife currently sit on the left and right side of the doorway. How long the McClendon gargoyles will keep watch over the West-Edens Link remains unclear.

The University put the long-planned gargoyles up last Thursday, in time for the meeting of the Fuqua School of Business's Board of Visitors, on which Aubrey McClendon, Trinity '81, sits. Kathleen McClendon, Trinity '80, sits on Trinity College's board.

The couple has given over $6 million to the University.

"Everyone had the best of intentions, but I think [the gargoyles] just honored them too much," Vaughn said.

While stone carvings adorn many University buildings, until last week, none had been added since the 1940s--and none modeled after donors. This gargoyle couple will most likely be both the first and last of its kind, Vaughn said.

Share and discuss “Donors ask for removal of gargoyles” on social media.