Deng takes Duke

Luol Deng is headed to Durham.

A source close to the men's basketball team told The Chronicle last night that Deng, who is rated as the No. 1 small forward and No. 2 player overall in the Class of 2003 by the Sporting News, will commit to Duke tomorrow. Deng will announce his decision at a noon press conference today at his high school, Blair Academy (N.J.).

Deng, who stands 6-foot-8 and weighs 217 pounds, averaged 22 points and 12 rebounds last season at Blair. His decision comes less than two weeks after an official visit to Duke, which lasted from Oct. 25 to 27, and gave Deng the opportunity to watch the Blue-White scrimmage in Cameron. Deng will choose Duke over Indiana, Virginia and Missouri--the three other finalists on his list.

Deng, whose brother Ajou currently plays basketball at Fairfield after transferring from Connecticut, will join Kris Humphries in comprising Duke's Class of 2007. Humphries, a 6-foot-9 forward from Minnesota, committed to the Blue Devils in May. He is ranked eighth by the Sporting News.

Deng's commitment is a substantial boost for Duke, which lost a recruiting battle over forward Ndudi Ebi last month. Ebi, a 6-foot-10 forward from Houston, chose Arizona over the Blue Devils, Texas and Houston.

By landing Deng, Duke will obtain a player who can potentially step into the role that will be vacated next year by senior Dahntay Jones. Deng is known for his defensive abilities, and will likely be used to shadow the opposing team's most prolific scorer.

Deng's arrival in Durham will be the latest in a series of stops that has covered three continents and thousands of miles. Deng was born in Sudan, but has lived in Egypt and England before coming to the United States to attend Blair Academy. At Blair, Deng has, so far, led his sqaud to two league titles, as well as the state finals last year.

Although next year will be the first time that Deng wears the Duke jersey, it will not be his first time playing on Duke's campus, as Blair Academy plays Bishop O'Connell in Cameron Indoor Stadium Jan. 11.

And then, seven months later, Deng will return to Durham--this time to stay.r Academy. At Blair, Deng has, so far, led his sqaud to two league titles, as well as the state finals last year.

And then, seven months later, Deng will return to Durham--this time to stay.

Share and discuss “Deng takes Duke” on social media.