Renovated Kilgo wins fans

North Carolina in the middle of August is not the most ideal environment for lugging boxes, but at least air conditioning makes the process a little less hellish. Just ask the new residents of buildings K, L and part of M in Kilgo Quadrangle.

The quad, which houses independents, the selective living group Brownstone and Sigma Nu and Delta Sigma Phi fraternities, received the first of the renovations in the plans to modernize Main West Campus' residence halls over successive summers.

The renovations are 99 percent completed, Program Coordinator of the Residential Program Review Roger Belanger said. Only a few minor details are left, with the primary renovations--air conditioning, smaller bathrooms, the revamped commons room and repainted, recarpeted and relit bedrooms--ready for move-in.

"The air conditioning is awesome," said Brownstone member and House L resident Jill Grob, a junior. "It's how every dorm should be."

The building is not without its problems, though. For part of Wednesday, the card swipe was not working, and residents reported problems with water in the bathrooms.

"I've taken two showers so far," Brownstone member and House L resident Dave Bernstein, a senior, wrote in an e-mail. "Once it worked fine, and once I had to go to a different bathroom because no water was coming out."

The remaining renovations consist of a few minor additions, including a lock in the guest bathroom and lighting in the new alcoves.

Mark Gunia, a sophomore in Sigma Nu, lives in the last room in the renovated part of Kilgo, while his brother Matt, also a sophomore in Sigma Nu, lives in Building N--the portion of the fraternity section that was not renovated. The brothers said they were not aware of which rooms would be renovated when they made their room selections. "I don't live in the [renovated area] and I'm kind of pissed I don't have air conditioning," Matt Gunia said. "I don't understand why they didn't continue it down the hall."

In addition to the more comfortable temperature, new residents noticed the redone commons room, the sunny alcoves in the halls and the smaller bathrooms, which were created by dividing the old bathrooms to be more personable.

Belanger said the University plans to maintain the current designs, which he was largely pleased with, but will work out the "wrinkles" before next summer's renovations. Among these is an alcove in the bathrooms where Belanger is concerned students might store things or a predator might hide. Those in charge of the renovations will meet next week to discuss what went and what they will change.

Residents also noticed some smaller changes. An aesthetic modification, green tile lining the wall facing the front entrance, also attracted attention.

"The tile is a big tease," said Brownstone member and House L resident David McConeghy, a senior. "You see it when you walk in, but it stops there."

Belanger attributed the success of the renovations to C.C. Woods, the company remodeling the dorm. "Remodeling a dorm is difficult," Belanger said. "This has been a very pleasant surprise."

Share and discuss “Renovated Kilgo wins fans” on social media.